Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Non-AMX Thread: What are you listening to?

Okay, this is completely off topic for this forum, but I thought it'd be kind of fun, if not - kill the thread by not responding, and give it a week or two to disappear.

So, what are you listening to right? Feel free to post an album you're listening to, the current song, or even the jackhammer outside your window, and go ahead and update what you're "listening to" as often as you want.

Right now, I'm listening to The Wall - Pink Floyd (currently on "Goodbye Blue Sky"); 3rd time I've heard the album today - probably gonna switch over to the new Fratellis album next.

(Oh and Suzanne, please feel free to move this anywhere you feel appropriate.)

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Currently listening to Siriusly Sinatra on Sirius.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    di.fm -- Chillout channel
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Awesome!

I figured this might be the easiest thread for anyone and everyone to post. Plus, it's one of those things - don't need to put much thought into it. :D Glad to see it's working!

(BTW - I did just switch over to new Fratellis album.) ;)
    Now, it's me and my third record. Everybody Hates Someone.

(i didn't pick it, it just came up. I actually don't like to listen to myself much.)
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I actually don't like to listen to myself much.
    I know what ya mean! You can always pick out the little "mess ups" that aren't obvious to the casual listener.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    We always seem to have Sirius Channel 35 - Chill - playing. Right now it's playing Hyenas by Moby (whom I never knew survived his battle with Eminem :-D)
  • mcottonmcotton Posts: 38
    Now Playing
    Artist: Charlie Parker
    Album: Bird and Miles
    Track: Moose the mooch
    I switched to Super Shuffle - Sirius 12. Currently 10,000 maniacs - These are Days

Later, I might make the move to Sirius Pops 86 (good for deep thought programming :) )

Jeff

Sirius update: Diana Ross - I'm coming out.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Right now----XM Watercolors - Mindy Abair - True Blue
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    ARQ zone1
    Blind Faith - one of the greatest rock records ever recorded!
    I have it on repeat mode so I've heard it maybe 10 times already.

TOP 5 albums at the moment - not in any order and it does change week to week.
    Blind Faith - Blind Faith
    Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
    Who's Next - The Who
    Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
    Rocks - Aerosmith

nice thread JJ :)
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    If it be your will by Leonard Cohen.
    Tomorrow Wendy is going to die by Concrete Blonde
    1 tin soldier by Coven
    Eve of Destruction by Barry Mcguire

A custom CD of my own and many others still to play.
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    I recently downloaded as many Iron Maiden
    MP3's that I could find.

It's been an Iron Maiden kind of year!
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Nice Thread Jeremiah!

I read the thread title and thought..."Uh Oh..here we go"! but, you know I reckon the topic is AMX related because I for one simply can't work without music - the silence confuses me!

So, we share ideas code fragments and help others debug stuff - the least we can do is share our environments too!

I actually believe an excellent new feature for NSX would be to be able to add tracks or playlists to the workspace. Imagine getting to site, launching NSX and George Thorogood lets rip with 'One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer'.

Awesome potential feature I reckon!

:-)

Right now I'm on to some Cafe del Mar Volumen Ocho. Just finished Pink Floyd Division Bell

Always seem to fire up some early Dire Straits or Pink Floyd when under the pump I must say! Clears my head right out. A legacy from my previous AV programming life (multi-image slide/tape) where the bulk of our work was done burning the midnight oil.

...and of course, always have time for some classic Dark Side Of The Moon.
    Well, I'm glad you're all enjoying the thread. It's a little more fun than "What's your favorite album?" type thread. It should at least give us an outlet for when you hop on the forum, and nothing new is posted but you're dying to say something and don't want to put a lot of thought into it. :D

Anyway, I just got the latest Indie Rock Playlist which has 120 songs on there, and mostly artists I've never heard of, but still very good. If I come across any decent songs, I'll be sure to update. ;)

Oh - and BTW Tracy, I've heard of Iron Maiden but never heard them, so this morning I got on YouTube and watched a video of theirs, wasn't bad at all. I thought it was going to be COMPLETE screamer music - seem to've been wrong.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The fan on my computer ... external drive spinning ... faint hum of AC coming through vent ... oh hey, the coffee pot just beeped, it's done ...

I find music distracting when I work. If I play music, it usually occupies more of my attention than my programming, so I have to keep it quiet.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The fan on my computer ... external drive spinning ... faint hum of AC coming through vent ... oh hey, the coffee pot just beeped, it's done ...

I find music distracting when I work. If I play music, it usually occupies more of my attention than my programming, so I have to keep it quiet.

That's why I like to jump to sirius pops 86 (classical). I leave it at a lower volume, but loud enough to sort of drown out the occasional noise that might distract me. No lyrics, so my mind doesn't start doing something like CTRL-F to searching .....SEEK AND DESTROY! or IF(God was one of us) ELSE Just a stranger on the bus? (Currently playing song :) )

When I am doing normal coding or making small modifications, it doesn't matter to me what is playing as I am often interrupted by co-workers or clients calling more often than by my mind wandering to the music.

Jeff

P.S.
    Madonna's Borderline is currently playing.... Now it's the Who and I Can See for Miles.

P.P.S.
    Today has started of sucking, so it made me want to hear a song that I occasionally like to listen to while troubleshooting wiring problems on site: Linkin Park's One Step Closer. I unfortunately don't have it on my computer right now, so I had to settle for the lyrics :)

LINKIN PARK LYRICS

"One Step Closer"

I cannot take this anymore
    Saying everything I've said before
    All these words they make no sense
    I find bliss in ignorance
    Less I hear the less you'll say
    You'll find that out anyway

Just like before...

[Chorus:]
    Everything you say to me
    Takes me one step closer to the edge
    And I'm about to break
    I need a little room to breathe
    Cause I'm one step closer to the edge
    I'm about to break

I find the answers aren't so clear
    Wish I could find a way to disappear
    All these thoughts they make no sense
    I find bliss in ignorance
    Nothing seems to go away
    Over and over again

Just like before...

[Chorus]

Everything you say to me
    And I'm about to break
    And I'm about to break

Shut up when I'm talking to you
    Shut up, shut up, shut up
    Shut up when I'm talking to you
    Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up

I'm about to BREAK

[Chorus]

Everything you say to me
    And I'm about to break
    And I'm about to break
    DHawthorne wrote: »

I'm actually with you on this. When I'm coding, I like it quiet. I think of that old cartoon with the bear who wants to sleep and some other charactor is trying to prevent any noise from happening so he won't get a pounding...

When music is playing, I'm doing touch panels or something other than code. Yesterday we were just working on an IR problem with DirectTV Sat recvrs.
  • TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315

The greatest radio station ever. If not for KCRW I would not know anything about music. Thank you KCRW!!
    At my previous job we had XM, and I always liked to listen to Colin Cowherd in the morning on ESPN 140. The man is a radio genius; everyone else who does that job is just a sports guy.
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    I'm listening Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live @ Radio City ... because I'm reviewing a touch panel file made for anyone who really do not know about friendly interface. So I'm trying to fix the wrong navigation and I need to stay calm :D

Nice thread Jay!
  • If I'm doing design or TP4 work, I tend to want something more on the distracting side - for example, "Out of the Silent Planet" book on tape by C.S. Lewis. As odd as it might sound, this provokes my imagination to somewhere controlled; otherwise its my imagination that tends to wander - not my intellect... if that makes sense. Mind you, I listen to this on headphones as not to distract others. :D

Otherwise, if I'm programming something more intensive or simply trying to think hard on something I'm doing, then I tend to prefer silence, but can settle for most kinds of music. I'm the sort of person that gets "in the zone" and utterly forgets that the world exists, or that I haven't eaten in a long time - you know, minor details.

Currently I'm listening to songs on Sirius radio that I'm unfamiliar with due to my absurdly limited knowledge of pop culture. The head programmer tends to pick the station. :)
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    Black Sabbath
    Paranoid

HORNS UP!!!!

\../,
    Pieces of You - Islands
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    BBC Radio 2 - when working from home it's nice to have someone to talk to (& they never answer back!)
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Never Let Go - David Crowder Band.
    It helps me to clears my head of other issues and focus on the programming.
    Eddie Money- Two Tickets To Paradise

Jeff
    Pet Shop Boys - We all Feel Better in the Dark
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    Engel - Rammstein :D