Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

IR Files -- teach me to fish...

I have obviously not found the best source(s) for IR files. I am currently looking for IR files for the following:

1) Sony KDL XBR4 LCD <-- hard to believe it doesn't exist
2) Comcast DCT3416 DVR set top box <-- likewise

3) Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player <-- not the newest but that may even work in its favor
4) Harmon Kardon AVR 320 A/V receiver <-- likewise

I've tried the AMX online 3rd party device search, the most recent (albeit ancient) AMX IR database, and the Comm-Tec IR database (newer but still long in the tooth). I've tried searching by model number, RC model number, and simply perusing. Simply perusing has led to files that have potential, but that is going to make this a very long process if that optimism is misplaced.

What am I missing when it comes to searching for these magic IR files?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• parabolaparabola Posts: 2
    Do you have an IRIS? If not I go to www.remotecentral.com, click on the files section and look under the pronto files. You can easily download the software for the prontos which has a very large database. You can then most of the time to copy and paste hex codes into IREDIT, although the codes are not always the best they do work. They also have a bunch of discret codes too in the site. Hope this helps!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    If you're an RTI dealer, you can get their IR Library which is awesome. Then there's the Mega-List that you can add to it. Makes for a great library! :D
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Sony is one manufacturer that is reasonably consistent across models: most of their TV codes work with all their TV's ... etc. It's not 100%, but it's worth trying the codes for an like-era model of the same type with Sony.
  • What year is this?
    jjames wrote: »
    If you're an RTI dealer, you can get their IR Library which is awesome. Then there's the Mega-List that you can add to it. Makes for a great library! :D

Haven't scored the RTI library, but I did go ahead and download the Mega-List library. I haven't had a chance to try the database with the AMX tools. Should I have any expectations it's going to be that easy that the .cml and the .irn file formats are compatible?

Thanks for the answers everyone. Extremely disappointing (not with you guys, but with AMX) that each answer references third-party resources or cutting and pasting hex codes. Wow. Is this 2008 or 1998?

It's been a couple of years since I last programmed an AMX system, and I had hoped things had improved. Does the ACE program get me access to their real IR library? If I was working with newer hardware (I'm facing off with an Axcent3), is it better somehow?

Although I would expect the lack of upkeep on the AMX IR database affects whichever platform dealers are using...

Thanks again and I'll step off the soapbox now...

Steve
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Don't just shoot the control system

It isn't just down to AMX... Its a basic fact that many manufacturers do not release all the working IR commands for a given product, so hobby users on remote central etc have time and inclination to fire every possible variation at a piece to see what happens...

RTI and other control companies have better IR databases because that is what they mainly work with (RTI esp), AMX is a far more powerful platform and in the main IR is the method of control of last resort...

Personnally if its down to resources I'd rather AMX worked on better tools like NS TP4 etc (and even IREdit) than learning IR files that most dealers don't need - I for one have my own fairly extensive collection from previous jobs and 3rd party sources.

In terms of cut and paste then try to get hold of RTI Infrared Library Manager, you can then copy the hex codes into IREdit, you cannot convert directly as far as I'm aware.
  • Jimweir192 wrote: »

AMX is a far more powerful platform and in the main IR is the method of control of last resort...

Personnally if its down to resources I'd rather AMX worked on better tools like NS TP4 etc (and even IREdit) than learning IR files that most dealers don't need ...

In terms of cut and paste then try to get hold of RTI Infrared Library Manager, you can then copy the hex codes into IREdit, you cannot convert directly as far as I'm aware.

Thanks, Jim, for the pointer to the RTI software.

I agree with everything you said. Unfortunately the "last resort" method of control sneaks in way too often. In the ideal world, manufacturers would make their IR codes available when products are released to be picked up and converted by the RTI's and AMX's of the world to incorporate in their databases. Certainly would help keep the manufacturers from proliferating new codes just because...
    In the ideal world, manufacturers would...

give everything an ethernet port and a bug free, complete, published protocol...;-)

The first part probably isn't too far off...

The second part is a long way off, but this will probably ensure all our gainfull employment for some time!!

For the RTI software, I'm sure a legit approach as a dealer / independent programmer should get you access to their dealer pages...
    Jimweir192 wrote: »

Give it time. ;)
  • Jimweir192 wrote: »

a bug free, complete, published protocol

...is a long way off

I used to teach a course to the CE crowd called "Communication Protocols: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". No shortage of examples for the latter two. For the good, I had one top-notch best of class example worthy of any piece of communicating equipment... :) -- or should that be :(

Yes, a very long way off...
    Hex Junky
    Give it time. ;)

No doubt there is someone with an unhealthy addiction to Hex out there as we speak...

Sad, but I for one sure appreciate their efforts!!
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    No doubt there is someone with an unhealthy addiction to Hex out there as we speak...

Sad, but I for one sure appreciate their efforts!!

Hmm . . . I wonder if that hex junky should take that as a compliment or an insult. Haha! :D
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Let's talk about hex.
    mpullin wrote: »
    Let's talk about hex.
    I don't know if this is the proper place to talk about hex . . . could get dirty. Gotta keep hex clean. :D
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I don't know if this is the proper place to talk about hex . . . could get dirty. Gotta keep hex clean. :D
    IR files within AMX's IRedit = protected hex.
    mpullin wrote: »
    IR files within AMX's IRedit = protected hex.
    I beg to differ. ;)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMX does not have the best IR library out there (not by a long shot), but I don't have too much of a problem with that; as it's been said, IR is kind of a last resort. But many things still have to be controlled IR. My issue is with the IRIS. It hasn't been updated in years (in fact, not as long as I have worked with AMX, nearly 10 years); it's awfully fidgety and frequently difficult to capture codes; it's painfully easy to capture a code badly. A $30 universal remote you pick up in your local drug store has a better capture mechanism that is both easier to capture and perfectly reliable. The IRIS badly needs an update.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    AMX does not have the best IR library out there (not by a long shot), but I don't have too much of a problem with that; as it's been said, IR is kind of a last resort. But many things still have to be controlled IR. My issue is with the IRIS. It hasn't been updated in years (in fact, not as long as I have worked with AMX, nearly 10 years); it's awfully fidgety and frequently difficult to capture codes; it's painfully easy to capture a code badly. A $30 universal remote you pick up in your local drug store has a better capture mechanism that is both easier to capture and perfectly reliable. The IRIS badly needs an update.
    There's always this . . . not sure if it's any good though. http://engo.com/productdetail.aspx?p=1001