Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Exron IPLink

How do these work with AMX?

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=iplts1

GOt a job with a Network In place and there are 8 TV's scattered throughout the building they want to control... I could do NI-700s but costs would be more than double.... Times 8 Locations.....

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    If you have a solid module for IP communication they work like a charm.
    You can open up a telnet session on port 2001 (for RS232 port 1) etc and you have direct control of that port.

They only thing i had some issues with was to keep the IP comm going, but that's solved :)
  • ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    pm sent
    {More characers}
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I've worked with the Extron box and it seems to work fine. By default, it has an IP timeout feature that will disable the IP connection if no communications occur during the timeout period. If this is a problem, the timeout parameter value may be increased or a query value can be sent periodically. It is my recollection that when the Extron box times out that the AMX IP client immediately recognizes this and the client connection can be re-established, if desired.

As I said, I think this box works fine, but it is way more complicated and has way more features than necessary if all you want to do is use IP to communicate to an RS232 device. It also, as I recall, is a bit pricey.

The only other IP/232 device that I have experience with is the Site Player <http://www.siteplayer.com/telnet/index.html&gt; which is about $80 and does POE. It's simple and reliable. They also have a proprietary RS232 port emulator program for the PC so you can use a PC program that expects to communicate via RS232 to communicate via IP/RS232. It only works with their converter, though.

I've played with both the Extron IPLink box and the SPTelnet box to see if you can connect to a master's rs232 port. I was not able to get Netlinx studio to properly communicate with a master via the rs232 port with either of the devices. Likewise, I couldn't get an IRIS to work, or the Cre$tron IR learner. I think that I had some minor success getting some communications with Openaxcess, but I don't recall for sure.
  • ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    Looks like the only thing I need to do here is send On and Off commands and maybe the occatianol Input select if they need to use the TV locally for something.

I'll Look at the siteplayer as well.