Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

New MVP firmware? Wireless?

Hey guys,

The current firmware on my MVP7500 doesn't seem to support WPA, so I'd like to upgrade. But I think I remember hearing something about the newer firmware being incompatible with older Masters - is this the case? I have a NXC-ME and would be really ticked if the panel wouldn't work with it anymore.
Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• WPA
    dmurray14 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

The current firmware on my MVP7500 doesn't seem to support WPA, so I'd like to upgrade. But I think I remember hearing something about the newer firmware being incompatible with older Masters - is this the case? I have a NXC-ME and would be really ticked if the panel wouldn't work with it anymore.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Make sure your panel has an 802.11G wireless card. The older 802.11B cards do not support WPA.
  • Like B_Clements wrote, WPA is only supported by the 802.11g wireless card. Two ways to find out:
    1) open the MVP and check the card. If it has no external antenna, it is 802.11b only
    2) upgrade the MVP to the latest firmware. Now in Wireless Settings, it will show you if the Wifi card supports WPA encryption.

The g card can be upgraded with the NXA-WC80211G/CF part:

The newer MVP firmware versions will has some diagnostic tools in Protected Setup->Tools. These diagnostic tools should only be used if the master has firmware 3.21 and up.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Let me get in here and say that updating to the 802.11g card has done wonders for some of our clients. Remember that things are being added pretty much on a daily basis in the wireless world, so the wireless cloud is getting bigger.

Several of our clients have been using the 802.11b since install and it's worked fine for them, until one day out of the blue things got spotty and major problems ensued. After upgrading to the 802.11g card, it was all fixed.

It will probably cost you to upgrade, but it's well worth it and will be a drop in the bucket compared to time spent troubleshooting wireless issues. Note that it's not an end-all fix for some problems, but it sure helps.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Big warning: do NOT upgrade all the way to the most current firmware in one step. Earlier firmware versions were common between the 7500 and 8400; they have since diverged. Chances are yours is old enough it is running the common firmware. Loading the latest one directly could potentially brick your panel. Contact AMX for exact details, but I am pretty sure you need to load the first firmware after the split before loading the most recent. There are some intermediate files the latest firmware requires to load that only that intermediate release will provide ... or something of that nature.
  • tom goeztom goez Posts: 75
    New MVP firmware? Wireless?

Good comment, Dave.

How do I know? I "bricked" an old 8400 following the advise of Tech Support. Missed the middle step that I was not advised of. Called back, and Pete said: You can't do that!

He air freighted me a new CF at no charge......
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yup, same way I learned it. :(
  • dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    Thanks guys! So who do I need to get in contact with to figure out the correct upgrade path (I can't even find the different versions of the firmware)? And it is possible that the newer firmware won't work with my current master?
  • dmurray14 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! So who do I need to get in contact with to figure out the correct upgrade path (I can't even find the different versions of the firmware)? And it is possible that the newer firmware won't work with my current master?

For the firmware update process:
    1) check your current firmware version in the MVP. In setup, check panel information.
    2) If it is below 2.63, download the following fw from amx.com: http://www.amx.com/techcenter/downloadConfirm.asp?fn=/assets/firmwareFiles/archive/NX_CVXX_MVPXX00_v2_62_1.kit
    Download it to panel, and at the end it will reboot several times.
    3) download the regular 2.83.9.

!!! Install the new G card only AFTER the update process !!!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    One more step I do....

4) After installing the G card and it's completely up to date, download the firmware again.

I was told this is a good habit to get into. Not entirely sure of the benefits, but I've been doing it whenever I add a new G card.
  • jjames wrote: »
    4) After installing the G card and it's completely up to date, download the firmware again.

I was told this is a good habit to get into. Not entirely sure of the benefits, but I've been doing it whenever I add a new G card.

Good point I forgot to tell, thanks.
    The G card may also updated from the firmware file of the MVP. So after installing it, it's a good choice to load the firmware again.
    For the firmware update process:
    1) check your current firmware version in the MVP. In setup, check panel information.
    2) If it is below 2.63, download the following fw from amx.com: http://www.amx.com/techcenter/downloadConfirm.asp?fn=/assets/firmwareFiles/archive/NX_CVXX_MVPXX00_v2_62_1.kit
    Download it to panel, and at the end it will reboot several times.
    3) download the regular 2.83.9.

!!! Install the new G card only AFTER the update process !!!

Thanks! I'll check it out. Possible that it may already have the G card?
    And can anyone confirm that it will still work with the NXC-ME?
    No one knows whether it will work with the NXC ME?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    dmurray14 wrote: »
    Not that I would know for sure... But, I can't imagine the Touch Panel firmware would create any problems with the type of master. The TP firmware doesn't change the communication protocol as far as I know.

I have all kinds of masters out there with all kinds of TP firmware. It all seems to work just fine.
  • dmurray14 wrote: »

For a completely different problem I had to set up a NXI-ME (v2.31) with 2 MVP-8400 (v2.83.9) - and it works without any problem. You just should not use the "Connection Utility" from Protected Setup -> Tools. The connection utility will track datagrams sent from and to the master, and if the master's firmware will not support this (like the v2), the master in worst case can lock up.

But again - normal operation should not be affected. Here on my desk the setup is working absolutely fine for days now.
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a go then!