Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

OT: My employer wants to switch to the dark side

2»

Comments

• mcottonmcotton Posts: 38
    patb wrote: »
    mcotton - can you tell us about one of the systems that your company has done lately using "C"?

patb,

In a normal system use an Escient SE-80, XM, 16 zone vaux, Vantage Lighting, etc. This allows us to use vantage keypads for lighting and volume control. We have then added an NI-700 with a 8400i to get them into whole home control. The modules are completed and tested.

We haven't signed up with Cre$tron yet. The argument for Adagio is that we change our standard offering to: 16 zone AES with 16 APADs, Vantage lighting, XPanel. The advantage is that every zone gets a keypad with feedback and a 'free' touchpanel on the computer before they buy an actual touchpanel.

I know that the two systems aren't apples to apples. I am just explaining what we currently do and how we would use a Cre$tron system. I'm not in the office to run actual numbers but with those two setups Cre$tron should be less expensive and consolidates various product lines (elan, speakercraft). I can PM you with actual prices on Monday if you want them.
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    I really do like Vaux and I doubt that you'll find the "C" Adagio to be cheaper. I designed a system a few years ago that had 12 sources and 28 separate audio zones using a Vaux switcher. I connected 2 16x16's together using their interlink cable to jumper the inputs from one unit down to the other one. I used AMX Radia lighting - it was the largest Radia system I had ever seen or been involved with. There were 16 enclosures and we broke it down to use 33 separate radia masters (axlink devices) and there were over 350 individual light loads - mixture of dimming loads and relay loads. It worked like a champ and cost 25% what an equvalent Lutron Homeworks would cost...that's not 25% LESS, that's 25% total. I think the Lutron was going to cost somewhere around $50K and the Radia turned out to less than $15K. So don't dismiss AMX that quickly - I bet the Radia system could give the Vantage a run for the money in both cost and performance.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    patb wrote:
    I connected 2 16x16's together using their interlink cable to jumper the inputs from one unit down to the other one.
    I wish the AutoPatch Precis 18x18's had that. You know how bad it looks using 18 y adapters behind each switcher. I believe tha Vaux is less expensive as well, isn't it? And from what other forum members have said it's a breeze to work with. Maybe it's time to switch switchers!
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    patb wrote:

I wish the AutoPatch Precis 18x18's had that. You know how bad it looks using 18 y adapters behind each switcher. I believe tha Vaux is less expensive as well, isn't it? And from what other forum members have said it's a breeze to work with. Maybe it's time to switch switchers!

Why would you need Y cables?
    a_riot42 wrote:
    Why would you need Y cables?
    To daisy chain inputs from one switcher to another so you can expand zones capacity above 18 while sharing the same inputs.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    a_riot42 wrote:

To daisy chain inputs from one switcher to another so you can expand zones capacity above 18 while sharing the same inputs.

I thought you could take 1 output from 1 switch to the input of the other and redirect sources as needed. So if you needed the CD player on input 1 of the first switch to go to 35 outputs you would direct it to all 18 outputs on the first switch, and since the 18th output goes to input 1 on the second switch, have input 1 on the second switch go to all the other outputs on the second switch. Would this not work?
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote:
    I thought you could take 1 output from 1 switch to the input of the other and redirect sources as needed. So if you needed the CD player on input 1 of the first switch to go to 35 outputs you would direct it to all 18 outputs on the first switch, and since the 18th output goes to input 1 on the second switch, have input 1 on the second switch go to all the other outputs on the second switch. Would this not work?
    Paul
    We're strarting to drift!

That would only allow zones 19 - xx a single input that they all must share. By daisy chaining all the inputs each output can choose any available input and being an 18x18 switcher each output can have its own input to itself or outputs can share inputs in any combination you want. That's why the Vaux with its interlink cable is so nice. With a single cable you can parrellel (daisy chain) all inputs across as many switchers as you need as long as 16 inputs are adequate (18 for AP).
  • mcottonmcotton Posts: 38
    I have nothing but good things to say about Vaux. Very easy protocol, gives great feedback, handles doorbell/paging and Gil takes great care of us.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    patb wrote: »
    Speaking of protocol - has anyone controlled the Yamaha? I have a RXV-3800 that I need to control. I saw that AMX has a module, but it's pretty much unsuable if you don't use it exactly the way they have it laid out. Thanks for the reminder about the Onkyo - another good choice.

Lots of OT in this thread...

I wrote a module for an RX-V2700, and it only required minimal changes to work with an RX-V3800. (That, and I added multi-zone support to it while I was at it.) If you can find an open module for an RX-V1700/2700, YSP-1000, or most Yamaha receivers before these, they share a similar protocol and shouldn't be hard to modify to make work.

(I'd share my module, but in this case, it was the second module I had ever written in Netlinx. You can probably imagine how bad it looks... :))