Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Project management software - ideas?

What project management software you find the most suitable for needs of your company (integration/home automation company, I meant)? I am looking towards open-source web based stuff... Planning, progress view, document repository - those features... Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    maxifox wrote: »
    What project management software you find the most suitable for needs of your company (integration/home automation company, I meant)? I am looking towards open-source web based stuff... Planning, progress view, document repository - those features... Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

We're using D-Tools SI5
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    We use D-tools as well.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Hmm, but does D-tool have task planning, timelines etc? For example, for a given project I would like to specify tasks given to programmers, installers, sync them (make sure one does not overlap another, for example), make estimates for timeline etc.
    maxifox wrote: »
    Hmm, but does D-tool have task planning, timelines etc? For example, for a given project I would like to specify tasks given to programmers, installers, sync them (make sure one does not overlap another, for example), make estimates for timeline etc.

The answer is yes. But what you're describing sounds more like Microsoft Project.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Exactly, I am looking for "pure" management features that MS Project can provide. And I am looking for multi-user web based environment (such as MS Project Server). Currently searching for open-source GPL alternatives: I doubt our company really ready for full-blown and expensive solutions.

From what I understand, integration companies are either small (and are not going too formal for project management) or they are divisions of already matured companies with all that implies (for example, CMMI).

That is why I try not to re-invent wheel and ask for PM software that has been proven and found useful...
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Used D-Tools, MS Project, and Timberline. For A/V I will being moving to Tiger Paw, looks like they have it all figured out.

http://www.tigerpawsoftware.com/
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    You might also look at www.simplyreliable.com . They have a fairly complete package from what I have researched. We are still contemplating making the switch.

As for D-Tools, I HATE IT WITH A PASSION :)

Jeff
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I've been using D-tools from almost their beginning and I will say this...as they've grown the program has gotten more powerful, slow, and less stable. Do I like it as much as I used to? Nope.

Understanding that you are looking more for project management I fall into that "small" company you were talking about where it is not worth the headache of something like MS Project so nothing is used for that purpose. If some of these other programs provide some of that function they may be worth reviewing for your needs. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I almost forgot, if you are looking for just plain project management, check out www.basecamphq.com. They offer a free trial and have a couple of different packages. This site allows you to create multiple projects and different people can have different access. Very easy to use and it even allows file sharing and email submissions of replies.

Jeff
    My thoughts on D-Tools...

It's a strange piece of software.

Like most things of this nature, there's a right way, there's a wrong way and their's the D-Tools way.

We've found that the less we try to bend D-Tools to our will, the better off we are.

We've looked at quite a few other things. In each case, we've seen things we tend to like better in other packages. But in the final analysis, they just seem to fall short overall.

I agree with the comment that it is less likeable as time's gone by. However, one big thing is that they now work a little better with AutoCAD. Remember, D-Tools clam-shells over MS Visio. Visio is a very silly program to do serious design on. It works but it just seems like a toy when compared to AutoCAD.

The usefulness (or lack thereof) seems to be proportional to the size and scope of the company using it. If you are flying solo or just have a few people in your company, D-tools is just going to slow you down. If you're larger and have more people, it still slows you down, but it keeps you honest.

We have it tied to our accounting system. To me, that just is a must to really making it work. If you're just using it as a drawing program, then your money would be better spent elsewhere.

I think the one thing that D-Tools does is force a company into looking at their process of making systems. If you're a will-o-the-wisp company, D-Tools will do nothing for you. If you have a clearly developed process, you'll thrive in the environment.

Since we've gone full-bore into using it (for over three years now) Our business has clearly grown by leaps and bounds. We're doing more expensive systems and more of them at one time. When I started, I'd generally be burning in one system at a time. Now I'm up to 4-5 at a time.

How much of this is attributable to D-Toos is debateable. I would say that the whole idea that D-Tools encourages (developing 'process') is definitely a major factor.

my 2 cents (with some extra garbage thrown in for good measure)