Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Remote files and TP preview

Hi guys, first of all, sorry for eventual mistakes... my natural language is Italian.

I'm a senior programmer (C/C++, PHP, MySQL, Industrial Automation etc.) but new to AMX System and this forum.

Two quickly questions:
  1. Is it supported the syntax '\\<hostname or IP>\<directory>\<filename>' in FilePath of FILE_OPEN()?
    Hostname/IP refers to a desk computer (not a remote master) connected to the same LAN of AMX master and the remote directory is of coarse shared (it work when I connect my Notebook to the desk computer)... I made some tries but it seems not working... (I get "-2 = invalid file path or name")
    Do I need to implement a FTP client to accomplish the task? ... there is some way to do it easier?
  2. There is some way to test/simulate a Touch Panel on computer without the Panel? ... maybe with G4 Panel Preview and the <Virtual NetLinx Master> connection?
    I mean that when you click with mouse on a button or drag a bargraph, the AMX master will receive channel, level event and so on.
    By other hand, when AMX master send a command, level or channel on/off the G4 Panel Preview (or whatever in place) react by consequence.
Thanks in advance, Neil

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Number 1: My attempts to specific a network machine in the path only caused the command to fail; I didn't have a lot of time to play with it, but it looks like it is trying to locate a folder with that name, not a machine; it doesn't recognize the \\ sequence. It might be possible with some more playing around, but off-the-cuff I would say no, you can't do it.

As for #2, it's definitely no. You can preview what a panel will look like, but the previewer does not support channel and level events.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Regarding Number #1: No. I'm hoping to see the day when we can read files on other masters in the URL list as requested in this thread: http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=4143
  • NeilKeyNeilKey Posts: 2
    Remote files and TP preview

Thanks indeed to DHawthorne & Joe Hebert, I saw the thread [thread]4143[/thread] a couple of days ago and I've been hoping that could be working even with the standard sintax '\\<computername>\<directory>\<filename>' on Windows sys-op, unfortunately it's not.
    Moreover, I completely misunderstood (due to my lacking English) thinking that <system number> was already working...

Ok, I will implement a FTP client...

Thanks a lot, Neil