Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

unable to talk to Panasonic PT-F200U

I am certainly not a great programmer but I cannot get this dern thing to turn on /off/switch inputs etc. Below is the configuration code and code snippet to turn proj on
any idea why this is not working?

SEND_COMMAND VPROJ,'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'
SEND_STRING VPROJ,"$02,'PON',$03"

Is my assumption that the first code is all I have to do to configure port 2?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The only Panasonic protocol document I have only lists the commands, not the packet structure or port parameters; are you sure it doesn't need a checksum? Doesn't need CTS or DTR? Your wire is good? What you've shown us looks OK, if it's all there is, but it isn't certain from just that.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Nothing wrong with your code.

Are you using the correct cable? For an NI or Axcent 3 serial port, you would need pins 2,3,5 straight through.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Protocol attached.
  • I didn't look at the protocol doc for the device, but you're correct in how you configure the port. I'm not sure where you placed your port configuration, but it should be in the device's online: event, e.g.
    DATA_EVENT [dvVProj]
    {
      ONLINE:
      { 
        SEND_COMMAND dvVProj,'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'
      }
    }

As a matter of practice, I like to prefix my device names with dv for actual devices and vdv for virtual devices. e.g.: dvVProj = 5001:2:0, vdvVProj = 33001:1:0 so that it's a little easier to keep track of whether you're dealing with the actual or the virtual device.

As far as not being able to control the device, are you sure you have communications established? Usually the most difficult thing is getting the pinout of the cable correct. Make sure you're not using a full-pinned cable (do a search for rs232 pins or see Spire_Jeff's FAQ sticky).

--John
  • No more phone calls!

Dang, I need to stop taking phone calls while I'm responding to posts. 3 other posts showed up by the time I hit 'submit'. That's twice this wee!

:)

--John
  • StewartStewart Posts: 37
    Pan programming

Thx for the replies . Got it to turn on/off still working on switching inputs
    see below:
    I was using a cross cable with 2 and 3 switched The Axxent 3 manual talked about 2 and 3 being flip flopped oh well

DEFINE_CALL 'SONY ON'
    {

SEND_STRING VPROJ," '(PON)'"
    WAIT 2 SEND_STRING VPROJ,"'(PON)'"
    }

DEFINE_CALL 'SONY VIDEO'
    {

SEND_STRING VPROJ," '(ISS:VID)'"
    }

DEFINE_CALL 'SONY OFF'
    {

SEND_STRING VPROJ,"'(POF)'"

}

DEFINE_CALL 'SONY SVIDEO'
    {

SEND_STRING VPROJ,"'(ISS:SVD)'"
  • A few things:

Not sure still about the protocol, but according to the one TurnipTruck posted, the switching command is 'IIS:' not 'ISS:' .

--John
  • And btw, your original strings are formatted with the STX, and ETX. The ones in your Define_Call are formatted without the stx/etx, and have '(', ')' characters in them. Your define_call strings should be formatted like the original string you sent: SEND_STRING VProj, "$02,'PON',$03".

--John
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    TurnipTruck wrote:
    Nothing wrong with your code.

Are you using the correct cable? For an NI or Axcent 3 serial port, you would need pins 2,3,5 straight through.
    I would add to this to use ONLY 2,3 & 5 and nothing else. I believe if pin 6 or 7 is connected on the AMX side comms won't work. I had this problem a little over a year ago with a PANA plasma which uses a similiar protocol and used an RJ45 to DB9 adapter on both ends passing 8 of the 9 pins straight through and it wouldn't work until I snipped pin 6 or 7. I then had a similar issue with a Denon DVD and ever since I only connect pins 2,3 & 5 unless the protocol states specifically that other pins are needed. I also had a problem with an Antex XM radio where sometimes comms would work but other times it wouldn't until I snipped everything other than 2,3 & 5.

Because the AMX side can be RS232 or RS485 even though the port is set to one or the other it doesn't mean the unused pins are floating and have no potential.
    Pan Programming

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my ?s. Methinks I have to do this more often as it does take practice. The ISS:xxx indeed was wrong it is IIS:xxx. I will try this in a few hours but am confident that the problem is solved. Doing amx once every 6 months or so really does not work well. I took an intro course in 2002 and have been lucky that I have been able to keep these system going!!!! Much of that is due to people like you guys and gals on forums like these.
    Pan Programming

It
    is
    working !!!!!
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    vining wrote: »
    I would add to this to use ONLY 2,3 & 5 and nothing else. I believe if pin 6 or 7 is connected on the AMX side comms won't work.

7 and 8 are needed IF your device requires hardware handshaking. In theory, if your device doesn't need hardware handshaking, you can leave 7 & 8 connected as long as your code turns off hardware handshaking during the port init. In practice, if your device doesn't need it, don't wire those pins in your cable! :)

The pins you absolutely, positively do NOT want passed through your cable for RS232 applications on an AMX controller are 1, 4, 6 and 9. If you buy a premade cable with a male connector on one end, do yourself a HUGE favor and break those pins OFF. If you need a female-female cable, well - its probably time to learn how to make your own cables... :)

- Chip