Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

SSH for System Access

Over the past year or so I have been installing SSH servers in all new jobs and upgrading older installs with the addition of SSH servers. Im not really sure if anyone has an interest in utilizing SSH as a tool, but for me it has made life much easier and has added a layer of security to my systems that I did not have before.

In a Nutshell. SSH servers give you secure and encrypted access to remote networks. You only need to open 1 port on a firewall, and from that point you have the ability to "jump" to any other machine or network attached servers by utilizing port forwarding. Some of the things I have been able to do include:

1- Directly Telnet to any Master Controller.
2- Directly Telnet to any AMX device that accepts Telnet Connections.
3- VNC to any TP without opening ports on the firewall
4- Directly SSH to MAX. If you manage MAX systems, this is a lifesaver.
5- Allow AMX Direct access to systems for diagnostics, without my being on-site.
6- Access netlinx webcontrol on ALL masters within a network
7- Connect directly to any Master on a network using Studio or Diagnostics without URL dependancies.

These are just a few things that can be done with SSH. Its very powerful and simple to use. I have a few windows machines as SSH servers, but I am now using Linux. Currently, Im tinkering with using an old XBox as an SSH Server. XBox makes a great linux machine, and its cheap!!

If anyone has an interest in this, just continue the thread. Its a bit difficult to explain all the details, but as AMX programmers and installers, everyone here has a degree from the university of FSO.

Cheers!!