Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Looking for an opportunity as a AMX Control System Programmer

Hi Professionals,

I have recently finished two AMX online pre-requisite courses with 94% & 100% grade for AMX Certification. It cleared lots of my doubts about system and how it works. It seems really existing to work with AMX System.

I have recently interviewed by one of the company in Melbourne, Australia for AV Control System Programmer, but was not successfully just because I dont have experience working with AV system. I have almost 3.5+ years experience working in Embedded System and programming micro controllers and microprocessors. Can anyone guide me how do I start my career in AMX Control System Programming. I am currently working as Automotive Embedded System Programmer with handsome salary but I am willing to work on lower salary then I have right now just to start my career in AMX Control System. If anyone have any suggestions please reply to me.

Thanks in advance.

MC78

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    You MUST have a good understanding of the equipment that you will be controlling in order to make it as an AMX programmer. Working at an audio-visual integrator, especially with other programmers and system designers would be helpful.

From my talking with other programmers, most had audio-visual experience that led them to AMX control systems, myself included.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I would echo what TurnipTruck said.

So much of what I do at my current job is beyond the pale of strict programming. I always say AMX programming would be a blast if we didn't have to integrate all the other manufacturer's gear. ;) Most of my programming time is not spent in AMX land. It's more trying to figure out how a particular piece of gear actually behaves and interacts with the world around it. The 'programming' part seems to be learning how to correctly bribe the gear into behaving.

Another thing that you probably should have under your belt is good graphics skills. Quite often I spend a good hunk of my time developing the user interface. This too, has little to do with programming. You should certainly be proficient in Photoshop and some kind of other graphics layout program. Web development skills would be a plus as well.

So, if you do not posess these skills, you might want to get some more education. If you already have some or all of them, you might want to reorganize your resume to reflect that.

If you current job affords it, you might want to invest in some AMX gear and try to integrate your own home first. Or perhaps do a friend/relative's house.

Airplane pilots always say, "Flight simulators are great, but there's nothing like air under your butt."
  • Thanks for your response guys. I understand what you are saying but problem is every says that I dont have experience working with AV systems and so they cant give me the job then how can I get one. I cant buy all the gears from market for experiment.

I do have some web programming skills and know how to work with photoshop to design some graphic but I am not expert like professional graphic designer. I am very much interested in graphics and for that I am willing to take even professional course on my own expenses but for that I do need some company saying that they are going to hire me for sure if i have so and so skills otherwise I spend for those expensive course and dont use that skill then I will lose them after sometimes.

I want some company to offer me the role to start with. Though I am having good salary in this job i am ready take new role with even less salary then what I am earning right now.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Simply put, you have to convince someone that you have the potential to gain that experience and make it work for them. THat probably means you need to bring something else to the table. I started in the industry as an installer, doing little more than pulling wires and soldering connections. I did that for years until I convinced my employer that I was capable of learning how to program AMX (I was developing Windows software on my own as a hobby); he sent me to the necessary training, and the rest I learned in the field. But he never would have been able, as a small company owner, to train me up if I wasn't doing other things to earn my keep meanwhile. Nowadays, all I do is program, but it took a considerable amount of time to get there; I could probably, however, take my current experience anywhere they do AMX programming and turn it into a job (assuming there is an opening).
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    I second the installer route. I spent 2 years doing install, then went to work for a company that had AMX stuff installed on site. I talked them into sending me to programmer 1 and 2, then learned how to upgrade the existing systems and install more. After 2 years of that I left and got a job as a programmer fulltime for an install company.

I'm not entirely sure how else you'd break in except from install, because you need to really understand all the signal flow and how everything works together to even pretend to be able to program well. Plus, most programmers (i think) tend to do a lot of engineering as well, not just programming.

J
  • So I know I am bring back to life a completely dead thread, but I'm in a similar position. Alot has changed since '08 and how has the affected the world of AMX? I have a dealer sponsoring me for Programming 1 and 2. I don't have any professional experience as a programmer or in A/V. I have done various languages of programming to suit different things I wanted to know or build, and also went to school for audio engineering. Any suggestions other then diving in face first into anything I can to learn programming? I'm also curious what the pay is like in 2013. I saw crazy figures for 2007 but the economy is vastly different. Any advice or tips any vets can offer up I'd be glad and appreciative of.

Thanks
  • I have been doing AMX for the past year.
    I started with only Windows & Linux programming in C, C++, Pascal, C#.
    The hardest part has simply been determining how all of the hardware works together and how it is expected to work together by simply looking @ CADs.

I was hired with no AV experience, or interest in AV for that matter.
    Simply looking for a different career, coding Windows Apps for oil and gas companies in Calgary became very boring.

AMX Device Modules are a time saver, but doing it yourself helps to better understand the equipment you are working with.
    No matter what you do make sure to use SNAPI, especially for displays, that way swapping does not require much in the way of code changes.

I still wish I had experience with installing the equipment and even designing a functioning system; although I can probably do a pseudo CAD for a functional system - I would be missing things like extenders/converters...

I did find that the Programmer I & II courses, did not really help all that much. I learned a couple things, but that is all.
    I am lucky enough to have a controller and TP at my disposal to test ideas I have. I have developed a generic system that I simply fill Structure Variables for the System, Sources, Displays, Audio, Switches, VideoConf and AudioConf. This has taken me the better part of the year; testing various ideas with multiple live systems and upgrading existing code that I did not write (the hardest and most frustrating thing to do in my mind).
    I did find that the Programmer I & II courses, did not really help all that much. I learned a couple things, but that is all.

Is this because you were already well versed in C, C++, C#? I've done some programming in VB, JS, HTML, CSS, and powershell, but never done any classes on them or been formally trained. So I understand syntax and logic atleast to some degree. I'm hoping some of the formal training will help fill in the gaps.

Was this because you are already well versed in programming? I know the basics of a few different languages, but I haven't had a need to use any of the C languages which this is based off of. And my other experience is only hobby related. I'm hoping a gives me a stronger fundamental to build from.
  • The expectations of a Programmer

These are my comments to those who are thinking of becoming an AMX Programmer.

I started Programming around 10 years ago, but before that I was an installer for at least 3 years. For most Integrator employers they want Programmers that not just do AMX Programming, but also DSP Programming and Fault finding of the installers handy work, (or poor work in most cases). I also found that doing a course in Tafe in electronics helps because you get a basic under standing of electronic principle, which helps with the Fault finding.

But in order to Program you need to understand the equipment that you are trying to integrate. You will need to understand Network Comms (TCP/IP, UDP), RS232/485 Comms and how they differ, IR Control, Relay control and I/O ports and how they work. DSP systems, Video Types and systems, the list goes on.

Another thing is the hours. Don't expect a 9-5 days. All projects run over, and your always expected to do 5 days work in 3 or less. Also deadlines means long hours to get the job done in less time than you might expect to have. So if you like to get home at a certain time everyday, then this is not the job for you. I have been an employee for 6 years and Free lance Programer for the last 6 years and I found the hours expected are the same.

I showed to my employer that i was capable of AMX programming by self teaching and Programming actual installed systems before they were willing to send me on the AMX courses (Axcent only back then !!).

So in short, get some AV Installation skills under your belt, make sure that you have an understanding of Electronic principles, expect long hours from time to time.

I now plenty of guys in the industry that have attempted to get into Programming, but most fail because they don't have the basic understanding of the things i mentioned above.

Best of luck.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Don't expect a 9-5 days.
    I think an important note to add to this is expect to have absolute passion for what you do. Programmers make or break any project. If the programming isn't perfect (well, close to perfect) it doesn't matter how beautiful the cabling looming is. It doesn't matter how amazing (and expensive) all the components are. It doesn't matter how well the system was designed. Yes, all these needs to be great but if the programmer does not have the passion to obsess, the passion to continuously learn, improve and apply this knowledge projects end up broken.

If you love what you do, if you enjoy getting to spend every day working with amazing equipment and people and play a key part in creating experiences people are going to love then it doesn't matter how many hours you work - its not even going to register*.

[size=-2]* It might to your partner / friends / family / pot plant though - keep passion for them too.[/size]
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    PhreaK wrote: »
    I think an important note to add to this is expect to have absolute passion for what you do. Programmers make or break any project. If the programming isn't perfect (well, close to perfect) it doesn't matter how beautiful the cabling looming is. It doesn't matter how amazing (and expensive) all the components are. It doesn't matter how well the system was designed. Yes, all these needs to be great but if the programmer does not have the passion to obsess, the passion to continuously learn, improve and apply this knowledge projects end up broken.

If you love what you do, if you enjoy getting to spend every day working with amazing equipment and people and play a key part in creating experiences people are going to love then it doesn't matter how many hours you work - its not even going to register*.

[size=-2]* It might to your partner / friends / family / pot plant though - keep passion for them too.[/size]
    Basically need to be anal w/ an OCD. :)
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    vining wrote: »
    Basically need to be anal w/ an OCD. :)
    Don't forget about being easily distracted by shiny things. You need that to.
  • rrdbstudiosrrdbstudios Posts: 160
    Just to throw out another perspective on this, I started out as the end user in the broadcast television world for the gov. I used AMX systems daily and slowly took a more proactive approach to upgrading our systems for our needs better. I was slowly given the trust and budget to design, purchase and build new systems in our facilities. Since at the time I was in college still as a computer science major, the AMX systems started to spark my interest; I had a very hard time finding the resources needed to figure out the ins and outs and thus we still had to hire a company to make modifications. Well when the other program came, I hovered over him and watched everything he did. Shortly after I was able to gain access to the software needed and luckily was able to pull the existing code and touch panel files off the masters and start to jump in.
    Within a year of this, I had graduated with my BS in CS and looking for my new career in CS. Since the job market sucked I was sending out resumes to everywhere and happen to get a call from a defence company integrator who in the past had only contracted out the programming side, but did everything else; they took a chance getting a full time programmer. I was hired on due to my many other AV skills from being both an end user and understanding the clients needs as well as being the person designing and installing (pretty much a one man band)
    I am now the number one of the leading engineers at my company not only doing AMX programming, but have been introduced to Cre$tron as well as other embedded realtime systems and working with other engineers developing hardware to be used for our mil and gov clients both in board rooms and on the battle field.

Pretty much what I'm getting at is, if you put the time and effort into learning it on your own, and you can show how you've gone from nothing to a comprehensive understanding, it lets your possible new employer know that you have the drive to learn and not so much that you are intereseted in making money from them, but they can make money off you; you have to sell yourself as an asset to them. In the end, if you arent making them money, theres no reason to keep you, let alone train you.

Another useful thing once you do get a job, (atleast in my area of work) having a "can-do" attitude will make any client LOVE you, which makes you company LOVE you more; nothing is impossible, it just may not be easy to achieve, but again if you're willing to figure out how to make things happen, you'll learn along the way. Now granted this is only helpful when you have clients that understand time and cost, which with some requests, both of these inherently sky rocket.

I hope this was helpful :)

Plus, you've already found your best resource here; I have found answers to most all of my questions, let alone posted plenty of questions that know I think I sounded like an idiot asking, but hey I learned from them!
    As opposed to many other online communities, I find everyone here very friendly and always willing to help no matter how off the wall or weird a question may be. I definetly owe many thanks to the active users on this board!

-Paul
  • rrdbstudiosrrdbstudios Posts: 160
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Don't forget about being easily distracted by shiny things. You need that to.

I completely agSQUIRREL!