Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Metreau Entry Communicator Relays

How do I control the two relays that are on the back of the Metreau Entry Communicator? I read through the instruction manual and found plenty of references to the relays themselves but nothing about how to pulse them. It?s probably staring me straight in the face but I just don?t see it.

TIA

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I haven't looked at the documentation, but I would guess that they might be ports on the main device.

This is purely a guess tho :)

Jeff
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Yup, I assume the I/O is also a port but I must just be brain dead today as I can?t find anything in writing. I?d hate to bother tech support for such a stupid question.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Metreau Entry Communicators support the following RTP, RTCP Video and Audio Streaming
    SEND_COMMANDs on port 1.

The I/O port supports the following SEND_COMMANDs on port 2. There are two channels on port 2:
    Channel 1 and Channel 2;
    Didn't see anything for relays so try port 3.
    Thanks vining, sounds logical to me. I?ll give 3 a shot as soon as I can get my hands on a PoE injector.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Please, correct me if I am wrong... It seems to me, that the idea to use relay ports on Metreau for door opening is dangerous. It is an easy way for a burglar to open the door by relay shorting...

Another issue with Metreau - dismounting is very easy, just slide LED panel up and it is in your hands. Considering that is very expensive, we have it screwed with the box and the box itself is tightly bound with the wall...
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    maxifox wrote: »
    Please, correct me if I am wrong... It seems to me, that the idea to use relay ports on Metreau for door opening is dangerous. It is an easy way for a burglar to open the door by relay shorting...

Another issue with Metreau - dismounting is very easy, just slide LED panel up and it is in your hands. Considering that is very expensive, we have it screwed with the box and the box itself is tightly bound with the wall...

Another issue with this is network access. Even if a person isn't able to open the door by removing this, they could gain access to the network very easily. I was thinking that one could restrict access on the specific port to the MAC address of the E-COM, but that isn't much help. I suppose I'm being paranoid and I would guess that if someone had the time to remove the unit and then gain access to your network, and then still have time to do something with this access, you have bigger problems than this weakness.

Jeff
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Hmm, what you, Spire_Jeff, are doing with your network in order to be afraid of such things? :)

Seriously, yes, that is a point as well.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I?d hate to bother tech support for such a stupid question.

Considering that AMX left such important info out of the manual, a call to tech support is very justified.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Just received an AMX Tech Note Email with this:

TN947 - How to Program the Relays and IOs on the MET-ECOM
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/technote.asp?id=947
    Summary:The MET-ECOM does not come pre-programmed, out of the box, to control the relays/IOs on the unit.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I found it in the manual a while ago. Page 61 of the operation/reference guide.

I/O = Port 2 Channels 1,2
    Realys = Port 3 Channels 1,2
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Colzie wrote: »
    Just received an AMX Tech Note Email with this:

TN947 - How to Program the Relays and IOs on the MET-ECOM
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/technote.asp?id=947
    Summary:The MET-ECOM does not come pre-programmed, out of the box, to control the relays/IOs on the unit.
    This only means the relays and IO don't do anything without programming, exactly like relays and IO ports on the NetLinx.

the8thst has the right info, right out of the reference guide, and it works

Page 61 of the operation/reference guide.

I/O = Port 2 Channels 1,2
    Realys = Port 3 Channels 1,2
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Since there have been two replies to my post I guess I should be more verbose when I write.

I remembered reading about the uncertainty regarding IO and Relays on the MET-ECOM. I got the the tech note email and read the tech note spelling out exactly how to utilize them. I searched for this thread and saw that nobody had posted a definite solution, so I posted the info (quoted from the AMX email) to help somebody down the road.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Since there have been two replies to my post I guess I should be more verbose when I write.

I remembered reading about the uncertainty regarding IO and Relays on the MET-ECOM. I got the the tech note email and read the tech note spelling out exactly how to utilize them. I searched for this thread and saw that nobody had posted a definite solution, so I posted the info (quoted from the AMX email) to help somebody down the road.

Yeah there were a lot of question when it first came out about how to trigger the relays, etc. Then there were alot of concerns about the security risk if using the built in relays to control door openers since the device itself can be reomoved in seconds with a simple small screw driver which then gives you access to the remote power and wires leading to the door release mechanism. I think that issue can be solved by using the IO's connected to some sort of tamper switch which inturn would issue an alert as well as kill the power that runs to back box that is controlled by the relays to open a door. Of course if the intruder brings his own power supply he could still get in before security arrives but if we're dealing with a proffessional thief of this caliber he's getting it one way or another anyway cuz he's probably got a plasma cutter in his other pocket. :)
    At issue was that the myth of "leaving it out of the manuals" had begun, and your post as it was could be read either as great added information as you intended, or as myth-supporting evidence that it was in fact not only left out of the manual, but left disconnected or deactivated, i.e. AMX blew it. Not so much.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    At issue was that the myth of "leaving it out of the manuals" had begun, and your post as it was could be read either as great added information as you intended, or as myth-supporting evidence that it was in fact not only left out of the manual, but left disconnected or deactivated, i.e. AMX blew it. Not so much.
    Myth? When I started this thread 2 years ago I’m pretty darn sure the port number and channel numbers for the relays was not documented in the original manual (that was published way before the current revised manual dated May of this year.) I’m also pretty darn sure others found the lack of information to be true back then.

Where is this other myth of hardware being disconnected or deactivated? I know I never insinuated anything like that? I was simply looking for port and channel numbers to program 2 years ago.

As Colzie said he merely posted the recent tech note to help others down the road that may come across this thread.

What’s your motive? Imaginary myth busting?

On a side note, Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. I had a wonderful golfing weekend with my sons in Dyersville Iowa, home of the Field of Dreams movie set. It’s been more than 20 years since that movie was made but 65,000 people still visit annually from all over the world to play catch and play baseball with their sons in the original ball field in the middle of nowhere. Good times.
    My motive was to explain that I wasn't criticizing Chad. As the last posts were current, I didn't look closely at how old the original posts were. My mistake, sorry. No need to snarl.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    My motive was to explain that I wasn't criticizing Chad. As the last posts were current, I didn't look closely at how old the original posts were. My mistake, sorry. No need to snarl.
    Right, your myth-this myth-that mockery was directed towards me instead which prompted a response in my defense. How you connected the dots from asking a simple port number question to AXM blowing it by leaving the relays disconnected or deactivated is a mystery to me.

This is a forum and it helps if you not only look at the dates but actually read what is written before handing out yet another of your unprovoked sarcastic little treats.

Apology accepted.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Myth? When I started this thread 2 years ago I’m pretty darn sure the port number and channel numbers for the relays was not documented in the original manual (that was published way before the current revised manual dated May of this year.) I’m also pretty darn sure others found the lack of information to be true back then.

Where is this other myth of hardware being disconnected or deactivated? I know I never insinuated anything like that? I was simply looking for port and channel numbers to program 2 years ago.

As Colzie said he merely posted the recent tech note to help others down the road that may come across this thread.

What’s your motive? Imaginary myth busting?

On a side note, Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. I had a wonderful golfing weekend with my sons in Dyersville Iowa, home of the Field of Dreams movie set. It’s been more than 20 years since that movie was made but 65,000 people still visit annually from all over the world to play catch and play baseball with their sons in the original ball field in the middle of nowhere. Good times.

Wow! I didn't realize that Colzie revived a two year old thread!

I am no longer confused why someone as smart as you couldn't find the programming info. That had me scratching my head.
    Right, your myth-this myth-that mockery was directed towards me instead which prompted a response in my defense. How you connected the dots from asking a simple port number question to AXM blowing it by leaving the relays disconnected or deactivated is a mystery to me.

This is a forum and it helps if you not only look at the dates but actually read what is written before handing out yet another of your unprovoked sarcastic little treats.

Apology accepted.

If you look, my response was to COLZIE, not to you or about you, and not mocking anything or anybody. It was explaining to COLZIE why I replied at all... after his comment about apparently not being specific enough.

Connecting the dots,
    * Turnip stated (in an old message, sorry) that AMX left it out of the manual.
    * Colzie reported a Tech support note in a way that COULD be read as further evidence it was left out and corrected by the issuance of the NOTE.
    * I attempted to add to the8thst's information to help clarify that it IS in the (newer, sorry) manual and operates as expected

Sorry. But any perceived slight to you before or now is not intended by me and never was.