Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

How are you terminating cables at the master?

I am curios how other companies terminate cables at the master? We generally use Cat5 for everything ? RS-232, IR, I/O, and Relays. Trying to run all of these cables into the rack directly to the master creates a real mess. We may only use a couple conductors from each Cat5 cable. So we could end up with 6 or 8 Cat5's just tied into the IR ports.

We have started using 66 punch-down blocks outside the racks. All of the control ports are landed on these punch-down blocks and then the cables are punched down here. Do most installers try to terminate all of their control cables directly to the master?

Comments

• Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Well, CAT-5 is NOT the correct cable to use for RS-232. RS-232 is an unbalanced signal and must be run in a shielded cable. Although CAT-5 will usually work, it is not the correct, nor professional way to do it. A low capacitance shielded, twisted pair would be the right thing to use. I like West Penn 452 as my general audio and data cable. CAT-5 is fine for 422 and 485 though.

As far as rack termination, I use ICC 110 punch blocks. I generally punch through all of the ports of the master including those which are not in use at the time of installation. If equipement is added, it just has to be run to the block. My West Penn 452 that I use for 232 can be punch into these blocks.
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    To paraphrase my favorite flash cartoon of all time:

"cat 5 BAAAAD, CAT 5... BAAAAD!"

From the golden age of napster bashing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuR5TNyL8Y

Also, in other news...
    "BEER.... GOOOOOOD."
    "Fire, BAD"