Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Hot glue guns

Which hot glue gun and sticks do you use and can suggest? I am going to stick IR emitters with this, facing hot temperature issue, they coming off... Thank you in advance.

Update: Am I correct that I need a low-temperature gun?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Just a regular cheap one that you get from Home Depot or any craft store. The high temp cabinet/carpentry type would be a little over kill and that glue is pretty hard to remove.

I actually don't use the glue gun any more and just use a drop or two of crazy glue instead. The emitter can be pryed off later fairly easily if the device needs to be replaced or repaired like the semi annual HD DVR cable box replacements we experience with the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD boxes.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Ditto on the silicone; it's also really easy to remove if you have to later. The other option, a bit more harrd-core, is a dab of Crazy Glue ... but there is no backing out of that. You can remove the emitter, but the face will likely be scarred forever. There are circumstances where that is OK, and sometimes you can even get away with no damage at all, but it's a roll of the dice.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Something we've noticed with the silicone though is that the emitters don't like to stay on those Samsung LCDs with the glossy piano black finish. Just way to slick for the silicone to stay for us. I forget what they do, but our techs do something to keep them on. Perhaps use MORE silicone than usual? I dunno.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    We've tried the RTV route but the guys seem to have a heavy hand with it and it ends up looking like crap. It can be done neatly though with care but the tech that used it lacked that skill. We also used plastic epoxy which when done right looked really nice but the emitter was stuck on forever so when the equipment went so did the emitter. I didn't think that I would like the crazy glue approach but I've become very fond of it and as mentioned ealier with a razor blade or utility knife you can just pop it off when needed.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Just be careful which crazy glue you use. I tried a crazy glue that was a gel and it was much easier to deal with, but it left a very white residue after completely drying and it started to melt the plastic parts :( The time until it was set was about 20-30 seconds, but the residue didn't show up for a couple of minutes.

Jeff
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thank you all very much for information.
  • i dont use a glue gun at all, i just carry a cheap lighter, cut your glue stick in sections, heat it with the lighter and stick the probe on, just be a little carefull about the glue stick till it dries. easy as that and no waiting for the gun to heat up.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Well, just found out that hot glue is not for all surfaces. It does not work for Apple TV, for example.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    silicone
    nuff sed