Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Multiple Masters vs NXF-MINIs

I have a 18000 sqf project with multiple A/V rooms, aproximately 10, with local flat screen, sat, dvd, and surround receiver in each. The project also has Lutron, GE Abvent Alarm, Pentair Spa/Pool, 36 Pelco Cameras with 2 DVRs, 3 Autopatches, 25 Modero Panels and probably 32 ICSnet VStats. So, we will have quite a bit of serial communications traffic. Our design team is debating on using 3 Netlinx Masters with multiple NXF-Minis and NMS or using 10 Netlinx Masters instead. I like the aproach of having a NXF to hook up the Lutron, Pelco, Pentair, thermostats, etc, and assign an NI-2100 or NI-3100 for each localized system instead of a couple Masters and multiple NXF-Minis. By the time you fill up the NXF-Minis, they are the same price as an NI. What do you guys think? Multiple Masters or a couple Masters with many NXF-Minis? I like the idea of each system running by itself and talking to the main master (NXF) to get Lutron, Alarm and HVAC feedback. Most of the systems that I've done to date have only a couple Masters and I am a little concerned about the feedback for the Lutron, alarm, pentair and etc when I have 10 masters. Please let me know your toughts. Thanks.

Comments

• I haven't done something quite that large yet, but my instinct says multiple masters for divisible groups of third-party hardware and another master for touch panel/feedback management.

I have done some projects where I thought that number of controlled devices would require running extra masters. I have been pleasantly suprised by how well a single master can run a well-programmed system.

Be careful what modules you run. You may want to avoid some of those bloated ones that are often tempting to use. Keep any modules smart and simple.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I've done similar sized projects minus the view stats but with a LON based HVAC feedback system and I use separate NI masters. If the price of NXF-minis loaded reaches an NI why wouldn't you get more masters?

Only send the feedback to those panels currently on the respective screen and you'll reduce a lot of unnecessary activity.

I echo the comments on bloated modules. I gave up on the Lutron, Apex, Pentair, etc. modules and just parse what I want. I think the only modules I am using are the Intercom, ReQuest, and CTG-LON.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I would say go for the masters, and distribute the processing load. All that traffic is bound to detriment performance if it's all done on a a central master. It's not even so much processing power, as all the messaging traffic sending communications between all those devices.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Do the NXF-Mini's have their own processor? Or are they only extenders? If so, i would definitly go for multiple masters, even NI-700's :)