Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Looking for PC-Based Controllable MP3 Player

Greetings,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a pc-based application or piece of hardware for MP3 playback that will allow artists/titles to be sent to a control system for selection and display? I will need to have it speak to a Netlinx master either serially or IP. I am well aware that I can do this with a MAX but can't afford to down that route.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Re: Looking for PC-Based Controllable MP3 Player

There's a company working on an iPod interface due out in the near future. Full two-way comms, unlike every other iPod remote out there at the moment. Would that do the trick?

- Chip

Originally posted by TurnipTruck
    Greetings,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a pc-based application or piece of hardware for MP3 playback that will allow artists/titles to be sent to a control system for selection and display? I will need to have it speak to a Netlinx master either serially or IP. I am well aware that I can do this with a MAX but can't afford to down that route.

Thanks!
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    Would the Squeezebox fit the bill?

SlimDevices (http://www.slimdevices.com) manufacturers the Squeezebox, an ethernet (or wireless ethernet) based MP3 player (actually MP3, WMA, iTunes, WAV, Flac, Ogg, etc) that connects to a stereo or powered speakers. Players run around $200.00 for the wired ethernet version.

You need some sort of local computer to run it, as it requires the SlimServer software, an open-source, portable software package that supports the Squeezebox. You can download and install that software to take a look at it, and use Softsqueeze (a software-based player included) to see how it all works.

To tie that all together, I'm working with Fred Thomas (mentioned in another topic) on a SlimServerMod NetLinx module. It allows you to put the Squeezebox in a cabinet and never look at it. It does basic control of the player, song selection/browsing, etc. It even displays album art.

Let me know if you have questions,

-- Jeff