Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

gt-1150 module from AMX

Hi Everyone
I just downloaded the NEC GT-1150 module from AMX and it didn't work. I took a quick look at the reference manual and found the baud rate in the module was written at 9600 and not the projector default of 38400. Not a big issue for me to change the projector baud rate but we have several people in my office that might forget to do this if they had to replace a defective unit. Is there a module by AMX with the default baud(which in my opinion should be the baud used in any module. )

Comments

• Options
    What we know is this was done because of signal quality on higher baudrates.

The projector drops voltage level with the higher baudrates, so you may not get the cable lengths you know from other devices. AFAIK this is especially with the NI controllers.
  • Options
    True, the higher baud rates don't travel as far without signal level issues but RS-232C is suppose to work at 50'. I would assume that means all present baud rates..(I have a Sharp XGE-3500 at 125', 9600 baud that has never gave me a control issue and a Sony PX-30 at 55' that isn't very reliable) Like I said to me it isn't a big issue but some of my staff are not as technically inclined and could spend alot of time trying to get a replacement projector to work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    but RS-232C is suppose to work at 50'.

Yes, just not with NEC projectors. :) I've had a few that refuse to work on relatively short (far less than 50') cable runs at 38400, but are just fine at 9600. There's even a tech note about this specifically in AMX's library.

P.S. - be careful if you ever swtich from the GT1150 module to the MT1060 module, or vice-versa. The "RealDev, VirtDev" pair that get passed to the module are reversed on one of 'em. :)

Yes - I found that one out the hard way.

- Chip
  • Options
    Just a further thought about Modules. Would it be possible to program into them the ability to change the baud rate via the TP for the device in question. This would then allow the programmer/installer to select a baud rate that works well for their installation.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Thomas,

Unless I?m misunderstanding the question, there shouldn?t be anything to stop you from issuing a SEND_COMMAND SET BAUD to the RS-232 port yourself.

Joe
  • Options
    I add a new ONLINE event for the real device if I want to change the modules baudrate. Just add a little wait before you send the command to change the baudrate and it will override the previous one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning on sending the default baud rate as mentioned. I guest why I started this tread was to question why any module would be written at a baud rate other than the default speced by the manufacture. If the programmer finds the baud rate not working well than he can then use the set_baud rate to his likings.