Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

TPI-PRO

Anyone have any experience using the TPI-PRO? Have you had success using the TPI-PRO and what if any limitations have you found?

Comments

• I have used the new TPI-Pro 4...and I was VERY dissappointed.

1. There were supposed to be two different outputs. Output 1 was TP graphics and video windows. Output 2 was Video only. That is not the case. Both outputs show the exact same thing. If you are using just a single monitor and a single projector, I guess that's OK. But in a real commercial application, the second output is useless because there are always switchers.

2. Annotation is CRAP. You have to have software running on a PC and you have to take remote control of that PC. Problem 1: Your system has to be on the client's network...which IT admins hate. Problem 2: You have to install software allowing remote control on the client's PC...which IT admins hate even more. Problem 3: You can't annotate on anything else...like a DVD, document camera or a visitor's laptop. Crestr*n's touch panels output the video and annotation on top of it...allowing you to annotate on anything.

I will not use AMX's version if annotation is involved...but might if it is just one display.
  • brdb24brdb24 Posts: 18
    I have used the new TPI-Pro 4...and I was VERY dissappointed.

1. There were supposed to be two different outputs. Output 1 was TP graphics and video windows. Output 2 was Video only. That is not the case. Both outputs show the exact same thing. If you are using just a single monitor and a single projector, I guess that's OK. But in a real commercial application, the second output is useless because there are always switchers.

2. Annotation is CRAP. You have to have software running on a PC and you have to take remote control of that PC. Problem 1: Your system has to be on the client's network...which IT admins hate. Problem 2: You have to install software allowing remote control on the client's PC...which IT admins hate even more. Problem 3: You can't annotate on anything else...like a DVD, document camera or a visitor's laptop. Crestr*n's touch panels output the video and annotation on top of it...allowing you to annotate on anything.

I will not use AMX's version if annotation is involved...but might if it is just one display.

It looks like you can turn off the G4 graphics on the second output using a send command which I would think would make the second output video only.
  • Selects which of the 2 outputs display G4 graphics.
    Syntax:
    SEND_COMMAND <DEV>,"'^TPO-<Output Value>'"
    Variable:
    Output Value:
    0 - None (should not be used in a typical installation)
    1 - G4 Graphics on output 1 only
    2 - G4 Graphics on output 2 only
    3 - G4 Graphics on both outputs 1 and 2 (default)
    Note: Any G4 graphics that appear over a Video Window when the ^TPO Command is used to turn off G4 graphics on an output may leave a ?hole? in the video display if the button opacity is too high. The upper limit of opacity for any graphic over a video window is panel design dependant. The more layers of graphics over a video window, the lower you need to set the opacity for the layers. A single layer of graphics has shown that an opacity value of 250 or lower is sufficient to correct the problem.
    Example:
    SEND_COMMAND Panel,"'^TPO-3'"
    Sets G4 Graphics on both outputs 1 & 2

There are pro and cons to the TPI provided by both manufacturers. The ability to display PC through a VNC interface sets the TPI Pro apart from the other manufacturer (no wiring or switchers needed). Not to mention POPup effects and being able to edit alpha channel transparencies realtime (not runtime only). Annotation is probably not the reason you buy TPI-Pro.
  • So...this is the reason why the forum is wonderful.

Neither the sales person...formerly of Visitec...and tech support had no answer when I asked about the output 2 question.

Don't get me wrong, I love AMX's tech support. They are much better than Crestr*n's...and shame on me for not finding this in the manual...but, I would have expected one of the two to know that there was a send_command.