Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

CVS

Just curious, what data and source code management (subversion, sync toy, etc) do others out there use and why? Especially for projects you may have multiple programmers working on and need to handle merging of code and/or file check-out.

We're looking at switching to running a subversion setup and am just wondering if it has worked for others in the AMX world.

Comments

• travtrav Posts: 188
    Subversion

I've used SVN in the past with great success, and it's just text files so programming language, or really file type independant, just differences.

-Trav
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Ideally we'll also be keeping interfaces, system schematics, documentation etc all on there as well.

As you said though, its all just data. I'm mainly just interested to see how others are approaching the situation.
  • We also use SVN, to manage internal programming projects (modules, event projects, etc), but also to oversee several customer projects.

Easy to use, and very helpful if multiple programmer work on one project (highest was upto 5 programmers working the same time at the same project in the past). It's also very helpful for recover and maintenance projects.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    If you use SVN, take a look at TortoiseSVN to add explorer integration including right-click menus for commit/etc. and status icons for files under source control. (up to date, changed, locked, etc.)
  • jweather wrote: »
    If you use SVN, take a look at TortoiseSVN to add explorer integration including right-click menus for commit/etc. and status icons for files under source control. (up to date, changed, locked, etc.)
    Good advice! We use it also, and it's very useful. I.e. the Lock function, which is required for managing TP4 files, because they are binaries and can not be worked by more than one person. So to be sure only one is working on it, this person is locking it and no other can overwrite.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Tortoise is my favorite client to. The human race would be severely disadvantaged without it.