Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

HELP!!!! Tivo IR problems...Sluggish op.

I hope someone out there can help or may have seen this same problem. Intermittently when operating series 2 Tivo units and even at times the DirecTV Tivos the units seem to have very sluggish response or may not respond at all. I have learned the IR a few different times and programmers at our other locations have had the same problems with their IR files. Also if you try and go into Tivo setup on a networked series 2, the setup inside the Tivo gets all funky, even if you back out without making changes. You then need to go back in with the original remote and fix the messed up settings. If you have seen these or other problems please let me know.

Thanks, in advance for any help,

Robb

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I had this happen to me exactly once with one of the DirectTV/Tivo combo units. It was a matter of pulse timing - I had shortened the IR pulse to prevent double commmands going out, and decided to tweak the off time as well. That was what messed it up. It worked properly with a CTON of 3, and a CTOF of 3. I'm not sure if it's the same thing happening to you, but you might want to try it.
  • Options
    TiVo IR - try relearning

Happy to break out of lurking mode for this one.

My problem was with a DirecTV TiVO HD unit.

I relearned all of the codes with an IRIS, this was a previously working Philips irl file, never a hint of a problem with it, and this sluggish behavior caused at least 3 embarrasing service calls, countless hours on the phone with Tech Support (tried everything, including port/cable swaps). Of course it never happened consistently when I was on site during normal hours, only end of my day or when client came home after his long day!

Relearned codes and put everything into timelines. No problems since.

FWIW my IRL file is attached.
  • Options
    Thanks wcravenel!

Not too familiar with time lines especially using them to control an IR device. Could you flip me an example?

Thanks for your help on this!
  • Options
    timeline sample

no points for elegance, but it works..
  • Options
    I took this one step father. I found that if all the digits are different, then you can safely go way faster than if there are any consecutive digits the same. So I test for this condion. I think I have my Tivo changing channel just about as fast as it can. On stations with consecutive same digits, it spits them out a bit slower. Timelines are the way to go for sure. Love 'em. Use them all the time.

Also when you learn with the Iris, it makes a huge difference how long you hold each button down for. Aim for short, especially with arrows and numbers.

Also also, I think there are just some Tivo's out there which are super sluggish. It's possible they're busy getting info from the sat. or something, but I've noticed they're extremely variable. The new Hughes HD Tivo is so unreliable that one dealer I work for refuses to sell them - will integrate them into a system, but won't take responsibility for them.

OP
  • Options
    other directv's also

thanks oliver, i had the same issue with a new basic directv model, it would not take same digit close together, it was house audio, same job.

Bottom line from trainers and tech support: no more lazy waits.
  • Options
    What they really need to do is come up with a fancier form of XCH, which allows for putting in a "-" which is needed for off-air HD stations, and I'd like to be able to set the pulse time and gap time as well as whether or not to send an "enter" at the end. I made this exact module in Cr*****. Works a treat.

OP
  • Options
    Try this code

I have never used XCH for the reasons you all describe. I use stacked pulses instead.

In the example below, nDSS_NUM is an integer array of DSS station numbers. The index of the array is passed to the call from the button push. For device dvDSS, CTON = 1 and CTOF = 4.

DEFINE_CALL 'GET DSS STATION' (INTEGER nINDEX)
    LOCAL_VAR
    INTEGER nNUM[3]
    INTEGER nLOCK_WAIT
    INTEGER nDSS_LOCK
    {

IF (!nDSS_LOCK)
    {
    ON[nDSS_LOCK]

nNUM[1]=( (nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]/100) +10)
    nNUM[2]=(((nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]%100)/10)+10)
    nNUM[3]=(((nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]%100)%10)+10)

nLOCK_WAIT = 35

SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[1] " // Hundreds
    SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[2] " // Tens
    SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[3] " // Ones

// LOCAL HD STATION
    IF (nINDEX>=1 AND nINDEX<=8)
    {
    nLOCK_WAIT = nLOCK_WAIT + 20
    SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',75 " // DASH or dot
    SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',11 " // 1
    }

SEND_COMMAND dvDSS,"'SP',21" // ENTER
    WAIT nLOCK_WAIT
    OFF[nDSS_LOCK]

}

}

Sorry about the formatting, I don't know how to indent the text.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Wasn't too hard to follow, but I believe you can use a [*code] - [*/code] grouping to display code correctly..Remove the *'s
    DEFINE_CALL 'GET DSS STATION' (INTEGER nINDEX)
    LOCAL_VAR
    INTEGER nNUM[3]
    INTEGER nLOCK_WAIT
    INTEGER nDSS_LOCK
    {

IF (!nDSS_LOCK)
    	{
    		ON[nDSS_LOCK]

nNUM[1]=( (nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]/100) +10)
    		nNUM[2]=(((nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]%100)/10)+10)
    		nNUM[3]=(((nDSS_NUM[nINDEX]%100)%10)+10)

nLOCK_WAIT = 35

SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[1] " // Hundreds
    		SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[2] " // Tens
    		SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',nNUM[3] " // Ones

// LOCAL HD STATION
    		IF (nINDEX>=1 AND nINDEX<=8) 
    		{
    			nLOCK_WAIT = nLOCK_WAIT + 20
    			SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',75 " // DASH or dot
    			SEND_COMMAND dvDSS," 'SP',11 " // 1
    		}

SEND_COMMAND dvDSS,"'SP',21" // ENTER