Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Using pop-up pages but wanting external button control?

I like to use the 4way pad on the 5200i, and the front hardware buttons on the in-walls. I will use them for different functions based on the screen. For example, up/down/left/right for the Sat box, dvd player, etc...

The new UI I am using is one page and the rest is pop-ups so I can no longer just program what the hardware buttons do on the TPD page.

Is there a best solution for this? My current plan was to just have the hard buttons always trigger the same port and codes, and in my netlinx code I will look at the currently controlled device and send out the correct button push.

I just want to see what others have done, before I get mad and just change all of the pop-ups into full pages :)

Curt

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    TrikinCurt wrote: »
    I like to use the 4way pad on the 5200i, and the front hardware buttons on the in-walls. I will use them for different functions based on the screen. For example, up/down/left/right for the Sat box, dvd player, etc...

The new UI I am using is one page and the rest is pop-ups so I can no longer just program what the hardware buttons do on the TPD page.

Is there a best solution for this? My current plan was to just have the hard buttons always trigger the same port and codes, and in my netlinx code I will look at the currently controlled device and send out the correct button push.

I just want to see what others have done, before I get mad and just change all of the pop-ups into full pages :)

Curt

That's exactly what I do. In fact, every "menu" button is 44, every up arrow is 45, down 46, etc. I just do a "passthrough" to the IR file then. I typically do a switch..case and for every IR device I just stack them and do a TO[IR_DEVICE[Panel],Button] - where Panel is the specified panel and Button is BUTTON.INPUT.CHANNEL . . .
    CASE nSRC_DVD:
    CASE nSRC_TIVO:
    CASE nSRC_VCR:
    CASE nSRC_CABLE:
    CASE nSRC_MUSIC:
    {
    	TO[IR_DEVICE[Panel], Button]// IR OUTPUT 
    }

IR_DEVICE is a DEV variable and is assigned when the source is selected.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If I have to do it that way, I make a SELECT/ACTIVE based on what device is being controlled, then send the appropriate IR for the button press. There was a time I would have edited the IR files to match each other like suggested, but I have found that leads to all manner of custom IR files I'd just as well not have to manage. A branching conditional based on the device allows you to use stock IR files and not mess with them.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've done this for quite a while now and never want to go back. (external buttons in code and one-page/many popups)

The external buttons have unique numbers and their own set of button events.

I then can track the current mode of the TP and make the buttons do whatever is needed. (Or even turn them off when not needed)

In most cases, it's tied to the current source of a TV being controlled by that touch panel.

So, for example, if the TV is on Cablevision, then the buttons are up/down/left/right/select and flash the appropriate IR codes. Kaleidescape TO's the appropriate channels on the K-Scape, etc...

I also like the fact that you can turn the buttons off when not needed. That way you don't have people noodling with them and reeking havoc.