Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

AMX Written UI Modules

I am just curious if anyone knows why AMX Written UI modules cause touchpanels without the supplied pages loaded to flip out? I have seen this happen on both the NX8E and the FIREBALL UI modules. It happens when data is received from the controlled device (ie from the alarm panel when a sensor is tripped). I am wondering what is causing this so that I can verify that I haven't inadvertently done the same thing in my code. My guess is that the touchpanel either generates an error or has to timeout when a command is sent to a button that doesn't exist and if too many such commands come through, the touch panel drops off line temporarily. Eventually the panel locks up and requires a hard reboot. The reason I know that the panel is dropping offline is that I send a double beep to the panel when it comes online.

I would be more than happy to test some theories out, so if you have any suggestions let me know. I've already looked at the security module and didn't find anything that looked odd to me, but that doesn't say a whole lot ;)

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Jeff
    I am using the NX8E UI module with no issues (well maybe one - can't seem to disarm the system from Netlinx but that is not a UI issue), and I almost always use the AMX UI modules with great success. You do need to be careful though, with the AMX UI modules out of the box if you have modified the panel file, specifically that if you have removed any buttons on the panel make sure the feedback code for those buttons is removed in the UI module. I made the mistake once with the MAX IMS UI module of deleting the power button on the panel but there was still a feedback statement in mainline that was continually driving that no longer existing button high - the system would bog and panels would indiscriminantly reboot.

Thanks
    Ian
  • Options
    i have seen UI code/panels generate endless data streams hundreds/thousands of times a second when the target DPS is not available. it may cause systems to bog down/hang.

i covered it a bit in this thread ...

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

(by the way Jeff, i just reread your comment about losing network, see my thread in hardware re Surecom switches).

i locate these errors by turning on notifications for all devices/all messages.

watch for repeated endless attempts for feedback.

i've found buttons in iMerge and Suite 16 that i wasn't using causing this. it's not the UI fault really, it's just us cutting out code that does it. :) i did think that was the cause of my system crashing, but after fixing these errors i still have a crashing system, so it may not be related.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that my problem is the feedback on a nonexistant button is probably what is causing this since it only seems to happen when I have a blank tp file. I just wonder if this is an issue known by tech support, since they are the ones who told me to start diagnosing my problem by starting with a completely blank tp file?

Jeff