Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

VNC into panels - security

How do you guys deal with security when using Vnc to connect to panels?
I tested one of these DNS service that provides you with a DNS name when you don't have a fix IP for your home network and used it to connect form outside my network to a touch panel.
But I don't see any kind of login/password to access to the G4 web console...

Is there a way to add a minimum of security?

Thanks!

Paul-Eric

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    On the TP go t the setup page>protected setup>G4 web control and enter a web control name & password. If you want you can change the default port from 5900 to something else. Changing the port is usefull if your not connecting via a VPN connection to the clients house and instead are using port forwarding through the router. This allows you to set up different ports for different panels and then set up port forwarding for each. VPN is much nicer though cuz then you're basically local as far as the TPs are concerned.
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    But of course...

Thanks Vining!
    Now I feel bad for not even having checked back on the panel configuration itself...
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I would caution you to be VERY careful with VNC. There are plenty of script-kiddie apps out there that can do a lot with VNC. If the router you are using supports VPN, I would highly recommend it. I have seen a lot of the cheaper routers claiming to have VPN now, but I don't have any experience with them.

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had some first-hand experience with a customer having his system controlled by a hacker who discovered an open VNC port. If it's open to the outside, put a password on it. That won't stop a determined hacker, but they would really have to have abug up their butt to want to go through the trouble to randomly turn the TV on (yet another reason I will not put something sensitive like the ability to disarm an alarm on an AMX remote). VPN isn't always an option, though it is a superior method in every way.