Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

making an NI into a slave

Hi all...

I believe there is a way to make an NI2000 into a slave - or I'm just dreaming.

All I want to do is access the ports on my demo NI2000 so I can do some testing.

I have an NI-700 that will be connecting to a couple accent card frames at a client who got smoked by lightning. Long story but basically putting a NI700 gets them into netlinx world with existing cards.

I want to use my NI2000 for testing so I know my feedback works. I can't seem to get the 700 to recognize the 2000. I have both connected via Axlink but I read somewhere that both masters my not be happy together.

Can't I just make the 2000 a slave?

I thought there was a dip switch for this, but I can't find any dipswitch docs anywhere.

Thanks

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    A Netlinx master will be nobody's slave and if you connect Axlink to Axlink on two masters it won't work, as far as I know.

What you want to do is master to master communications which requires TCP/IP connection between the two masters There is at least one tech note on M2M and the programming documentation on the AMX website also explains how to set it up and use it.

Basically for a simple 2 master setup:

1. Network setup with two masters (this can be done with a dumb switch or a single crossover cable, I think)

2. each master has a unique IP address

3. each master has a unique system number

4. IP address of exactly one master entered into IP table of other master

5. Use D:P:S system to control devices on other master. (in your case, the NI2000 from the program in the NI700.

So, if you have your axcess cardframe setup as slave with first card slot as device 201, you would say something like:

dvRS232Card1 = 201:1:0

If your NI2000 is set as system 2000, then you would substitute:

dvRS232Card1 = 5001:1:2000

and you're good to go.

If you've never done it (and I assume you haven't, as you're asking) it might look a little complicated. But, check the references, think about it, and try it and it will all become clear.
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks Harold...

I thought it was something as you mentioned. Only question is regarding...

" 4. IP address of exactly one master entered into IP table of other master "

Not sure about the IP table and where that exists and how to load it. Once I find it, do you mean the IP for the 2000 is loaded into the 700 and vice versa - the IP for 700 entered into the 2000 so they see each other?

Thanks

(it would be so much easier if I had the cardframe... sigh)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You need to decide which master will be the main master and host the URL list. Typically this will be the master running most of the code but it doesn't really matter. Pick one and in its URL list entry put in the IP of the other master. Do nothing in the 2nd master URL list and do not put the 1st master's IP in the 1st Master's URL list only the IP for the 2nd master.

NS2>diagnostics tab>URL Listing.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You can set up the connection from Master to Master in NS2. Diagnostic menu>URL Listing.

Then enter the IP address of the NI-700. A common misconsception is that you need to make the master-to-master connection on both masters. Actually, doing this will cause problems. The connection is already two-way. So, setting an URL on both masters is doubling up the communications. So, only do one. I typically make the 'slave' master hold the URL. That way it's held responsible for keeping the link alive.

Also, make sure that the 'slave' master is a different system number. So, if the NI-700 is system 1, then make the NI-2000 system 2 or something.

In your main program you'd define devices on the NI-2000 something like this:
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dv_Serial_Port_1_ni700  =   5001:01:0   // or 5001:01:1 if you like  serial port 1 on the NI700
    dv_Serial_Port_1_NI2000  = 5001:01:2 // Serial port 1 on the NI-2000

etc...

Depending upon the situation. you may want to put a second program on the NI-2000 to split up the processing. I don't do that myself and have never found need to split up the program even on $500K plus systems. Otheres would argue differently.

However, it's a good idea to at least put a small program on the NI-2000 that sets up the serial ports.

hope that helps.
    e
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks All!

It's working.

A lot help (appreciated) simply to get a test system going. On the real job, it won't be an issue - the 700 is talking to a bunch of cards in a cardframe with master removed - they will automatically be slaved.

Looking forward to the day I can reciprocate with an answer or two!

Cheers!
  • Setup Netink to Accress?

Hi All , I have olds system use AXC-Cardframe (accress) . Now i want to chang TP [NXT-CV10]
    (netink) use NI-700 to link AXC
    NI-700
    TP CV10
    I can't setup progarm ,Can help me to setup
  • Hi All , I have olds system use AXC-Cardframe (accress) . Now i want to chang TP [NXT-CV10]
    (netink) use NI-700 to link AXC
    NI-700
    TP CV10
    I can't setup progarm ,Can help me to setup

Answered here: http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=5758