Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NI 3100 communication problem?

Hi

My laptop losses connection to the Nelinx master ,every time i connect to the master .

The NI 3100 Ethernet port is connected to the AMX wireless device to communicate with the MVP 7500 wireless touch panel.
The wireless touch panel communicates with the NI controller no problems here.

I also tried the serial communication for the Ni ,it also connects only temporarily .

But when i connect a LAN cable from laptop to the NI 3100controller ,the Master communication is fine,it does not disconnect.

Also my laptop always detects the master ip when i go into listening mode in master communications TCP/IP mode.

Can somebody help me on this issue and tell me what could be the cause

Thanks
(this is my first AMX installation)

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are setting up a peer-to-peer network without a router. If so, do all your devices, including the laptop, have static IP's that don't conflict?
  • all the devices have a unique static ip
  • Are you using a USB to serial adapter to connect to the NI3100? If so, I find that my adapter never stays connected. It works in terminal mode for anything but will not stay connected with a NetLinx.
  • yes i used a usb to serial converter for serial communication.
  • Solution: Look for a different USB to Serial Adapter. I'm sure there are many recommendations from readers of this forum. I haven't found a good one yet. Someone told me that they had luck with a RadioShack adapter..

Maybe AMX should sell one...
  • if i used a network switch ,will that help
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Hi
    The NI 3100 Ethernet port is connected to the AMX wireless device to communicate with the MVP 7500 wireless touch panel.
    The wireless touch panel communicates with the NI controller no problems here.

I assume from this that you have a wireless access point of some sort connected to your NI3100 and that your wireless TP connects through the access point to the nI3100 and works correctly. I believe that the easiest solution is to have your laptop wireless connect to the access point as well. If you don't have a wireless card in your laptop, or it doesn't work, or if there is some other reason that you don't want to connect yout laptop through the wireless access point, you can get a dumb switch and connect the access point, laptop, and NI3100 all to the switch and you should then have joy.
  • the wireless access point i used is AMX WAP250g
    http://www.amx.com/products/NXA-WAP250G.asp

my laptop wireless connection manager shows two devices amx 1 and amx 2 ,they are from the same wireless access point,i can use either of them and will be able to communicate with NI controller for some time(30-40 seconds).

Could this be the issue that causes me to loose my connection to the master .
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    ? Firewall / Auto-Protect

Just wondering if you were using a Firewall / Auto Protect / Anti Virus on your Laptop that may be causing your problems, are you able to disable it for say 10 - 15 minutes?
  • yes i have kapersky internet security,but i had disabled it.but will make sure

i will try tomorrow to communicate with NI controller thru a switch ,instead of wireless.
  • i got my NI controller communication fixed,the problem was kapersky internet security .I had to disable it

Thanks to all for your help
  • May be caused by the UDP Broadcast Message the masters send by default every 5 seconds. This broadcast message is required to detect a panel which is set to system connection mode AUTO. In mode URL or LISTEN, it is not required. Some network switches may also block this message after a while, because of protection against flooding.

You can turn this message off by terminal/telnet command SET UDP BC RATE<enter>, and setting the value to 0 (zero).