Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

IR burning

I have an AMX installation NI-3100 where IR emitters are connected to the rack and then going via CAT5 over a house. The problem I have them burned from time to time and cannot understand what causing that.. Maybe because I use Niles emitters??

This is how I connect an emitter to the master. On rack side I have two cores from CAT5 (connected to - and +), then at equipment end I soldered Niles IR cores to CAT5 cores... I also use a big spare plug from relay side to connect a few emitters... It happens that it burns when I just unplug and plug the master... Any tips? Should I use only AMX emitters? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    maxifox wrote: »
    I have an AMX installation NI-3100 where IR emitters are connected to the rack and then going via CAT5 over a house. The problem I have them burned from time to time and cannot understand what causing that.. Maybe because I use Niles emitters??

This is how I connect an emitter to the master. On rack side I have two cores from CAT5 (connected to - and +), then at equipment end I soldered Niles IR cores to CAT5 cores... I also use a big spare plug from relay side to connect a few emitters... It happens that it burns when I just unplug and plug the master... Any tips? Should I use only AMX emitters? Thank you in advance.

We use OEM IR emitters all the time with no ill effects.

However, we also have seen several Niles IR emitters go bad lately on all sorts of systems. I think there's just a bunch of bad ir emitters out there from Niles.