Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

BB Magnolia and AMX

Couple of AMX products listed on thier site, I wonder how this is suppose to workout. Hopefully it will lead to some brand recognition but I can't envision the Geek Squad doing this without the help of AMX Home.

Comments

• ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Very interesting. I agree with the AMX Home comment.

http://www.magnoliaav.com/Products/ProductListing/tabid/239/categoryId/149/Default.aspx

Whatever they do I sure hope it re-enforces a positive image for AMX. Just seeing AMX products on a Best Buy website is a bit disappointing.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Colzie wrote: »
    Very interesting. I agree with the AMX Home comment.

http://www.magnoliaav.com/Products/ProductListing/tabid/239/categoryId/149/Default.aspx

Whatever they do I sure hope it re-enforces a positive image for AMX. Just seeing AMX products on a Best Buy website is a bit disappointing.

This is very disapointing and disturbing.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    This is very disapointing and disturbing.
    How so?
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    1st Visitec and then Jarmac split with AMX and now AMX is dealing with Best Buy? Very interesting! It appears the forum has turned into the soap channel and the drama continues. The suspense is killing me, I can't wait until next week's episode to find out what happens to little Jimmy!
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    How so?
    Paul

after some research, it's not.

Magnolia has been an AMX dealer for quite some time. I didn't find anything on Best Buy's site to indicate that they sell AMX.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    after some research, it's not.

Magnolia has been an AMX dealer for quite some time. I didn't find anything on Best Buy's site to indicate that they sell AMX.

I can't imagine there are that many potential AMX customers pushing carts around at Best Buy. In fact, with the economy being what it is, I am wondering if we are in for a slow down in larger AMX integration projects. Perhaps that segment of the population isn't as affected by national economics.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I can't imagine there are that many potential AMX customers pushing carts around at Best Buy. In fact, with the economy being what it is, I am wondering if we are in for a slow down in larger AMX integration projects. Perhaps that segment of the population isn't as affected by national economics.
    Paul

I'm actually busier ... but a good part of it is because some of the smaller integration companies in the area have gone under. I have at least three in my area where I have taken over their work. Not all is due to the economy though, two of them were because of something dire happening to the proprietor (one died, another in a freak accident that will disable him the rest of his life).

But my experience has always been that the high end of the market is not effected by the economy very much. If anything, they want more amusements to tide them over while staying away from chancy markets. Sometimes, they buy even more, because they aren't tying it up in investments. The low end similarly isn't much effected ... "I may not be able to buy a house, but at least I can get a new stereo." It's the middle that gets hit hardest.
    Paul

We actually get a few call of this nature. We turn them down. The caller usually says they bought an AMX master on ebay or got one with the house. They tried to program it themselves but ran into a wall quickly.

For the ebayers we just politely bow out right away. For those inheriting a system, we do a very thorough inspection of the system and go from there.

As for business during the recession...

We're not planning on participatiing in the recession. Our business is pretty brisk.

Howver, an oddity that has effected our area of the country has caused a pile up of projects. I have no numbers but only anecdotal observations on this. It seems a lot of our construction workers were probably not documented. The population of workers has dwindled quite a bit seemingly due to the threat of recession. There's still plenty of work to be done, but no workers. So, projects are being slowed down by a lack of laborers.

We have quite a few systems waiting on the tarmac. However, they sit wrapped in celophane waiting for the homes to get finished.

All in all, we're doing well. That could change in a heartbeat, however.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    I'm actually busier ... but a good part of it is because some of the smaller integration companies in the area have gone under.

We're still doing pretty well also. I've been saying for the past few years that I can't wait for the boom to stop so that we can clear out all of these little crummy fly by night trunkslammers that have popped up. Unfortunately the boom has stopped and several people I know and like are out of business. It's a shame to hear about the misfortune of the two competitors you mentioned.

--John