Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Sluggish Response Between Two Sytems

Greetings,

I have some devices on a remote system that I control from my local system.

The local system has URL of remote system in the URL list.

The remote system has local system panel defined in device array allowing local control of remote devices.

One of the remote devices is an MP3 streamer. The connection consistently supports a 160K MP3 stream with no issues. However, button pushes and variable text across the systems often lag. Further, the local system shows the remote system bouncing on and off line quite frequently. The situation does not improve when the MP3 stream is not active.

Both systems sit behind cable modems.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Greetings,

I have some devices on a remote system that I control from my local system.

The local system has URL of remote system in the URL list.

The remote system has local system panel defined in device array allowing local control of remote devices.

One of the remote devices is an MP3 streamer. The connection consistently supports a 160K MP3 stream with no issues. However, button pushes and variable text across the systems often lag. Further, the local system shows the remote system bouncing on and off line quite frequently. The situation does not improve when the MP3 stream is not active.

Both systems sit behind cable modems.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, I'm sure you've done this already... but just to make sure.

Remember to only make the M2M connection form one master.

Now, the thing that I think might be the problem is that cable modems are notorious for having very slow upload speeds. They typically have great downstreams (6-10mb) but very bad upstreams. I've seen some that have 128Kb upstream speed settings.

So, the overall speed of the connection is probably pretty slow since it can only go as fast as the slowest part of the connection.

just a thought
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I should add to what I stated earlier. There are several remote system connected to the local system. All are currently running in standard routing mode. It has been suggested that I run them in direct mode so that the remote systems are not maintaining connections to each other as that is not necessary. I'll give that I try when I get the chance.

In my case the cable modems are running a 7M down and 2M up policy.