Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

OT: Windows 7 & AMX Programs

Just to give you all a heads up - it appears that our beloved AMX programs can run on Windows 7. I just installed Beta 1 on a test box I have here (which is HORRIBLY slow with only 512MB and a 1.3 Ghz processor - it's ancient) but was able to install NS2 & TPD4. I haven't been able to fully test them out, but from what I"ve read, Win7 will not support any more XP programs than what Vista does. So - it would appear if that is true, AMX will need to develop Vista / Win 7 complient programs (although most seem to run without a hitch - for me anyway.)

Anywho - if anyone here is running Beta 1 and actually on a working machine, please post here to keep us updated. I'm still debating whether or not to install it as my "primary" OS on my "real" computer.

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jjames wrote: »
    Just to give you all a heads up - it appears that our beloved AMX programs can run on Windows 7. I just installed Beta 1 on a test box I have here (which is HORRIBLY slow with only 512MB and a 1.3 Ghz processor - it's ancient) but was able to install NS2 & TPD4. I haven't been able to fully test them out, but from what I"ve read, Win7 will not support any more XP programs than what Vista does. So - it would appear if that is true, AMX will need to develop Vista / Win 7 complient programs (although most seem to run without a hitch - for me anyway.)

Anywho - if anyone here is running Beta 1 and actually on a working machine, please post here to keep us updated. I'm still debating whether or not to install it as my "primary" OS on my "real" computer.

Any advantage to upgrading? I can find reasons why not to upgrade but haven't been able to convince myself that the pros out number the cons.
    Paul
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Well . . . I'm the kind that enjoys using the latest (even if not the greatest) programs, and that goes for my OS as well. For home - I'd upgrade. But for work - probably not. I am noticing some neat little features (such as things are MUCH easier to find than in Vista) and they seem to have simplified it.

Apparently the "requirements" are going to be no different than Vista's. From some of the review's I've read so far, Win 7 is what Vista was supposed to be (considering they pretty much started over on development of Vista 2 years before its RTM.)
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I loaded W7 beta onto a spare laptop harddrive I had laying around.
    On my home system I have been able to install and start up File Transfer, Panel Builder, NS Diagnostics, Studio, and TPD4.

IRedit wouldn't install and Dip Switch wouldn't start.

I have compiled and code and transfered it to a panel, but haven't been able to test much more than that. I should know more tomorrow after spending the day in the office.

- Pete

In case any of you are wondering, I have my real laptop harddrive with me in the van and it will only require a 2 minute HD swap to get my work computer back up and running XP if I need to do some serious work.
  • Options
    adimexadimex Posts: 21
    Running IREdit with compatibility mode should work.

I had that problem with W2K3 server.
  • Options
    I have Win 7 release candidate :

Visual Architect wouldn't install and I receive an error at NetLinx opening: This special version has expired june 1st 2009.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    error at NetLinx opening: This special version has expired june 1st 2009.

It sounds like you have a beta version of the NetLinx Studio software. Try downloading the latest release from the AMX Website.

Jeff
  • Options
    Win7 64 Bit & AMX apps

Took a major power surge a few weeks ago which fried several things in my office. :(
    Since I had to replace my desktop system figured I would upgrade to Win7 64 bit at the same time.
    It took a little bit to adjust to Win7 after using XP for so many years but overall I'm very happy with it.
    Very stable and runs smooth.

I have installed & used some of my AMX apps.
    TPdesign4 2.11 and Studio 3.0.0.315 both work great.
    In fact they seem a bit more stable then on my old XP system.
    I had 4 instances of NS running along with TP4 with 6 large files open at the same time and the only hiccup was TP4 scrambled some graphics once.
    I closed TP4 without saving & reopened and all was well.

However there are a couple apps I can't install.
    IR Edit & G4 Panel preview won't install at all, they keep telling me I need SP3 or Win2000. (Tried installing in Admin mode)
    You would think since Vista has been out for so long they would be compatible with Vista at the very least?
    Any suggestions or does anyone know if AMX has plan up updating soon?
    I sure miss my Panel preview.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Bill_Ibell wrote: »
    However there are a couple apps I can't install.
    IR Edit & G4 Panel preview won't install at all, they keep telling me I need SP3 or Win2000. (Tried installing in Admin mode)
    You would think since Vista has been out for so long they would be compatible with Vista at the very least?
    Any suggestions or does anyone know if AMX has plan up updating soon?
    I sure miss my Panel preview.
    Have you tried running in the installers in compatibility mode?

I don't have Win 7 installed on any computer (I quickly abandoned it), so I'm just grasping for straws here; but I think when Vista was in testing I had to do that for some AMX programs to install - not sure; it's a suggestion. :D
  • Options
    I had both of those programs installed on my old laptop that was running Win7 RC.

You need to manually configure them to install using compatibility mode. I forget which mode I used, but there are options for Vista, XP SP3, SP2, SP1, etc. Just try the different modes until you get one to install correctly.
  • Options
    Installed both using compatibility mode and that did the trick.
    Tested both out and they seem to work fine.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    I tried studio a couple of weeks back with windows 7 and all seemed okay. Nice thing is you can make it compatible with 32 bit. I run 64 Bit and have a few programs that don't work in 64 bit mode.
  • Options
    I've been running Windows 7 - 64bit RC for about 5 months. I haven't had any problems what so ever. I normally don't like to jump into operating systems so early. But so far i haven't been disappointed. AMX runs just fine under Windows 7.
  • Options
    postichpostich Posts: 10
    I found A Problem

While everything seems to work good in windows 7 I did find one isue so far. After compiling a program that included a Polycom module the module failed to work at all. Everything compiled and loaded without error but after three tries i whipped out my Win XP hard drive and ta-da! the world was right again. Long Live XP!

BTW I used Windows 7 RC 7100
  • Options
    I have been testing Win7 for a few months now and can report everything works great until you try to upload a TP file using a Virtual master. I have not been able to get an R4 connected ;( If anybody has been able to get this to work, please chime in. I am 30 seconds away from installing XP. On a side note, while you're installing IR edit and if you're not careful, you will corrupt Internet explorer. Windows 7 uses .NET framework 3.5 and IR edit will install 2.0. Remove 3.5 first, load IR edit and then reinstall 3.5.
  • Options
    Win 7 7600 RTP Build Works Great

Have been working with this for a few weeks on my work laptop dual booted. Done a few installs and everything so far works great with Win 7. I have XP on it as well just in case but so far haven't NEEDED to switch to XP.

As far as I can tell all my AMX software works great with Win 7.
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    THERE IS NO HYPERTERMINAL IN WIN7!!!

I don't know who uses the hyperterminal like me to test IP and serial strings, but if you do, there is another point to not upgrade :)
  • Options
    Diogo wrote: »
    THERE IS NO HYPERTERMINAL IN WIN7!!!

I don't know who uses the hyperterminal like me to test IP and serial strings, but if you do, there is another point to not upgrade :)

It wasn't in Vista either. You can download the Hyperterminal Private Edition for free from their web site.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't know if it's legit or not, but if you Google "Hyperterminal in Vista" you can find numerous links to a standalone download. I purchased a license from Hilgraeve myself, because I have found the licensed version seems to have less little glitches than the "free" one.
  • Options
    Is there something wrong with PuTTY? Looks like a reliable terminal application and supports serial as well... Not to mention the "free" factor.
  • Options
    I use Putty all the time for telnet and serial and have never had a problem. It works nicely with Cisco as well.
  • Options
    LomeliJP wrote: »
    Have been working with this for a few weeks on my work laptop dual booted. Done a few installs and everything so far works great with Win 7. I have XP on it as well just in case but so far haven't NEEDED to switch to XP.

As far as I can tell all my AMX software works great with Win 7.

I am using Windows 7 as well and ran into problems with the USB Lan driver. I found this problem while trying to update an R4. Have you run into the same?
  • Options
    bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    IR Edit issues

I can't install IR edit, I tried every compatibility mode, uninstalled .NET, re-installed it, tried rolling back to a previous .NET version, and I keep getting the same problem during install, "Requires .Net 1.1 or higher.."

I've had no problems with the R4 USB LAN, transferred firmware and a project to it. But I did have to install the USB Lan in compatibility mode.

Is there an official AMX response to Windows 7?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bcirrisi wrote: »
    I can't install IR edit, I tried every compatibility mode, uninstalled .NET, re-installed it, tried rolling back to a previous .NET version, and I keep getting the same problem during install, "Requires .Net 1.1 or higher.."

I've had no problems with the R4 USB LAN, transferred firmware and a project to it. But I did have to install the USB Lan in compatibility mode.

I don't think they ever 'officially' gave the blessing to Vista.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I don't think they ever 'officially' gave the blessing to Vista.

No, they didn't, though everything but Panel Preview seems to work fine in Vista.

I have had similar issues with other types of program ... for example, I just installed something the other day (non-AMX) that insisted I didn't have DirectX 10 installed and wanted to add it, even though Vista had enabled DirectX 11. That is what comes of checking for an exact version number instead of >= .
  • Options

Any feedback on the R4 drivers for win7?

I know this did not work with Win7 RC, but I haven't tried on the official release yet.

Also, has anyone found a USB -> Serial adapter that works with win 7? I have tried a couple, but have not had success.
  • Options

Did you run the IREdit - System Files executable before you tried to install IREdit?

I just noticed it while browsing applications and it's description says:

This file will install all of the Windows components necessary to install and run IREdit v1.1. NOTE: IREdit System Files must be installed prior to installing the IREdit application.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    the8thst wrote: »
    Also, has anyone found a USB -> Serial adapter that works with win 7? I have tried a couple, but have not had success.

If you've got bluetooth grab yourself one of these. Physical cables are sooo 1999 :).
  • Options
    I just found out that Win 7 was tagging the USB Lan network as a public unknown network and windows firewall was blocking all connections, so the R4 would never connect.

The solution was to create an exception for all Netlinx apps (NS2, TPD4, USB Lan) on both the public and private network columns in the windows firewall.

Just a quick note in case anyone else ran into issues.
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    the8thst wrote: »
    The solution was to create an exception for all Netlinx apps (NS2, TPD4, USB Lan) on both the public and private network columns in the windows firewall.

Did you get Window 7 to run the USB R4 driver or our you using the XP mode?
    If it is Window 7, can you explain how.

THANKS
  • Options
    GSLogic wrote: »
    Did you get Window 7 to run the USB R4 driver or our you using the XP mode?
    If it is Window 7, can you explain how.

THANKS

I do have USB lan working with win7 (ultimate 32 bit). I think I had to install the USB Lan drivers in vista compatibility mode, and then add the firewall exceptions for NS2 and TPD4.

I have found that webupdate does not work well for installing the AMX applications in Win7 as it does not let the OS properly check/prompt for compatibility issues or proper installation. Because of this I have been downloading and installing the programs manually.

I have been programming R4 jobs and updating the firmware on R4's, gateways, NI masters, moderos, etc all from windows 7. I feel I wasted some money in paying for Win7 Ultimate to get the XP mode because I haven't even needed to install XP Virtual PC.