Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Digital TV Postponed (again)

It looks like the DTV switch will be postponed again.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    < blood pressure through roof> AGGHHHHH! < /blood pressure through roof>

< rant>
    Where do I start.... hmmm, people have already had what, 3 years to prepare for this? If you can't afford $60 for a converter box (would be cheaper if the government wasn't handing out $40 coupons ...imho), then maybe you shouldn't be watching TV? I don't consider TV a necessity required to live. Information can still be received about emergencies via a radio which is part of the EAS. (Not that the EAS/EBS has ever been used.)

The economy is struggling as it is. Lets remove an incentive to stimulate a section of the market. That section is not only the TV set purchases, but also the new technologies that will be using the freed up bandwidth and the companies that will be developing these segments. Let's replace this real stimulation to the economy with a government spending program that will "save us".

< /rant>

That is all I feel like ranting about right now (as I'm in the middle of programming), but I reserve the right to continue my rant after I finish my programming :)

Jeff
  • According to one news report the concern is for rural senior citizens and the like who rely on television as their primary means for information. I understand to a certain degree that there are people in that group that may not understand the change or the technology associated with it. Plus, the money has run out for subsidizing digital converter boxes according to another report. I have no opinion yet as I'm also in the middle of programming so I'll have to try to digest the news later.

--John
  • adimexadimex Posts: 21
    Doesn't the converter box only apply for people who are still using antennas?
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Maybe we should just abandon this whole TV thing and get all our news & entertainment from YouTube.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    adimex wrote:
    Doesn't the converter box only apply for people who are still using antennas?
    Yes, quite a few folks still rely on antennaes only. Even in Metropoltan areas like NYC it's reported that 30% of the household still use antennaes somewhere in their home and fortunately for them the digital OTA signal should be equally as reliable as the analog. However in other areas of the country folks who rely on antennae only may have their available viewing channels cut in half by the move to digital unless they opt to spend more money on a decent antennae with an automatic rotor and even then they may be SOL on some of the channels that before the change came in weak but watchable or they could at least listen to it. I'm sure they'll be happy watching the improved resolution that the digital signals provides on their 19" Zeniths but when they used to get 8 channels they may now only get 4. I don't know if they'll see this new technology as improving their lifestyle.

But there's bandwidth to gobble up and sell to consumers so F' em.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    adimex wrote:

Yes, quite a few folks still rely on antennaes only. Even in Metropoltan areas...

I'm one of those people. I don't have Cablevision or Satellite. We hardly ever watch TV. So, my wife and I go through this cycle where we get a wild hair and go get cable or satellite. However, after a while of paying the bills, we end up sitting at the table saying, "Why are we paying for this? Do you ever watch it?" I say, "No... do you?" To which she replies, "No, why don't we just cut if off?" To which I say, "Go for it."

So, we have a couple TVs that can get about 12 channels with digital. We're in a metro area. So, reception is pretty okay.

We watch the local news and a few shows on Sunday night and a few shows on PBS. Otherwise, we just sit around and talk at each other. How quaint...

So, why is a person like me putting in $500K~$1M A/V systems. I obviously don't understand what these people want from them or get from them....

I do have a pretty slammin' microphone collection, however...
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    ericmedley wrote: »
    So, why is a person like me putting in $500K~$1M A/V systems. I obviously don't understand what these people want from them or get from them....

I know what you mean... my home is definitely not a showroom. We're still watching our 10-year-old 25" CRT in the living room, and don't have cable or satellite, just BitTorrent. We're talking about replacing the CRT, though... maybe one of those fancy new 24" LCDs. =)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Now it's offical. The switchover has been moved to June. I'm betting it never happens. June will roll around and there will still be 6,000,000 people not ready for the switch.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    ericmedley wrote: »
    A bit late to this post since it just got bumped, but I know what you mean. I don't even own a TV. I don't understand why people would want a 70"+ plasma or LCD, or these gigantic multi projector systems...

But I do have a lot of camera gear. Just got a new $1600+ lens yesterday, too. And my personal computer systems, and 10tb of 24/7 accessible storage (yeah, some of that is backup storage) at home... I guess some people might not understand that :)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't have an antenna, but I don't have cable or satellite either. I have a DVD payer and a small LCD that resides on top of a bookcase when I'm not watching a movie (which happens maybe once a month at best). People are always flabbergasted when they hear what I do for a living and then ask what I have at home. When Star Trek TNG went off the air, I had no more reason to watch TV :).