Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Cannot see devices of other masters

We have 9 masters, all connected to a local network, with complete URL lists. We can telnet to each one and see all the devices connected.

Now we added a 10th master to serve as a front end access for WebControl and telnet. I've set the URL lists for it as well, but it still can't see the touch panels of the other masters. Telnetting a "show system" only shows the Masters itself (device 00000), not their touch panels.

FYI, the 10th master is actually an old NI-4000(v.3.30.371) which we replaced for a 4100. I dumped a blank source code, fixed its IP address and URL listing. Nothing is connected to any port, only the ethernet connection to the network. Any thing I might have missed or done wrong?

Comments

• Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    If you are connected to the tenth master, it should be "show network" to see the devices connected to all the other masters.

Check that "route mode" is set to normal for any master that is in between the master Netlinx Studio is connected to and the master you want to see.

It's best (maybe necessary) to only have one route to any master. In your case, you could blank the URL lists for the nine and put the IPs of all them in the URL list of the tenth.
  • Options
    Thanks. Now I can see all the connected devices using Netlinx Studio. But for the sake of completeness, I still can't make them show up using show system on telnet. I just find it weird that the 9 masters can see everything on telnet, except the 10th.
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    etgaspar wrote: »
    Thanks. Now I can see all the connected devices using Netlinx Studio. But for the sake of completeness, I still can't make them show up using show system on telnet. I just find it weird that the 9 masters can see everything on telnet, except the 10th.

You must have the remote devices declared in DEFINE_DEVICE section in order for the master to bother to look for those devices in the other systems. So if the DEFINE_DEVICE section of SYSTEM 10 does not have any devices listed for the other system you will only see the master of the remote system. This is done to keep traffic to a minimum.

Telnet into System 10, type SHOW REMOTE. These are the remote devices that System 10 will bother to look for. If nothing is there, then it does not care about them. Then type SHOW NOTIFY, these are the local devices that System 10 will pass status information to other masters that have its devices in thier DEFINE_DEVICE list.

Make Sense?
  • Options
    That sums it up about right. I always assumed that a physical connection was enough for them to recognize each other, so I left the code blank.

Thanks.