Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Wireless Router and Touch Panel Control

The problem we are experiencing is basically a security issue with wireless routers and the company network. The Netlinx units have been configured for what I call local wireless network, touch panel control. We want to extend this by putting the Netlinx on to the company network to allow us to control, update and administer the units remotely. We have tested a Wireless router with Lan connections etc and this would allow dual control, but and here is the but, the company will not allow wireless routers on the Network. Has anyone come up against this in the past and better still is there solution, say using the other network ports on the netlinx for the remote touch panel.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Sometimes you can get around an IT department by dropping the whole thing in their lap: tell them what your network needs are and insist they provide for them. They might have an alternate solution, and they might even just decide your idea is the best way to do it, and they will deploy it themselves. Most of the time, they are just nervous about devices on the network outside their direct control; so you put it in their hands, and they know you aren't pulling something over on them.

It's also possible they are less than completely competent and hiding behind a strict policy that won't extend beyond their expertise. In that case you either have to convince them that you know what you are doing and won't compromise security, or go over their head and appeal to upper management.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    My experience is that it is usually the second scenario that Dave Hawthorne mentioned.

I usually use an approach that my dad taught me, which is to acknowledge that you know how smart they are and usually you get what you want.

Something like, "Being that you are the expert on network security, could you please...."

You mileage may vary, but bucking heads or being demanding with network admins usually doesn't help. If your ego in minimal enough to allow you to smootch a little rear, you'll go far.