Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

B&K Volume Control

We are controlling a CT300.3 and Ref50s2 on a job using rs232. When sending the volume commands we use a push and hold to ramp the volume. The problem is that it continues to ramp up the volume even after the button is released and can continue to dangerous levels. Any suggestions to work around this?

Thanks

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    terrmul wrote: »
    We are controlling a CT300.3 and Ref50s2 on a job using rs232. When sending the volume commands we use a push and hold to ramp the volume. The problem is that it continues to ramp up the volume even after the button is released and can continue to dangerous levels. Any suggestions to work around this?

Thanks

From the behavior you're describing, it's obvious that the processor takes a longer time to perform the volume change you're sending than the time you're allowing between repeats.

There are a number of ways to handle this. I would think the simplest way would be to adjust the repeat time slower and slower until you find a nice comfy setting that doesn't outrun the processor. If the RS-232 protocol accepts descrete volume settings and the rs-232 port on the audio processor doesn't mind being pounded on, you could handle the volume ramping speed in the AMX program by incrementing the value there and sending descrete commands, thus avoiding the whole ramp time thing in the processor.

You also might check the owner's manual and see if you can bump up the ramp speed on the processor as well.

just some ideas...
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I haven't used B & K for years other than plain amps and I think this code was the 1st I wrote back when I started this stuff. I still use this in the office system which has a CT602(?) and never had the problem you're describing.

You can send descete volume levels as Eric mentioned but there's something else going on and it sound like you're queing commands in the ouput buffer faster than the master can send them out so you end up stopping and the master is still outputting it's buffered commands..
    HOLD[2, REPEAT]:
    	  {
    	  SWITCH (nBTN)
    	       {
    	       CASE 105:
    		    {
    		    cBnK_Msg = "'(0,S,I,',itohex(nBnK_Ozone),'=24;)'"//master volume +
    		    break
    		    }
    	       CASE 106:
    		    {
    		    cBnK_Msg = "'(0,S,I,',itohex(nBnK_Ozone),'=C4;)'"//master volume -
    		    break
    		    }

• terrmulterrmul Posts: 18
    That did it Eric, I extended the time between repeats. Thanks!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    terrmul wrote: »
    That did it Eric, I extended the time between repeats. Thanks!

In the words of the AMX Zen masters, "The simplest way is the best."

(actually, I'm not into Zen...)