Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Tandberg vs LifeSize Video Conference

Hi All,

One of our clients have a Tandberg video conference system and are considering switching to a LifeSize system. From a control standpoint, it seems like the Tandberg module is better and the LifSize module is being re-written.

Does anyone have any experience with the LifeSize system (pro, cons, general comments)??

Thanks

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Lifesize has a pretty good control protocol, but i like tandberg's better.
    One thing to keep in mind is that you need to enable Telnet on a Lifesize unit from the configuration menu...

BTW: i have only used the Tandberg module from AMX, don't even know if there is a Lifesize one.
  • LifeSize and Tandberg

From experience either is fine when you have a basic user making point to point video calls. However if you have a multipoint capability within the codec things get harder. A common example is a room calls 2 other sites, later the user wants to disconnect one site without closing the whole call. In this situation the tandberg can provide the names of the far end sites as sent by the vc equipment this can be fed to the panel and the user can have a hangup button with each site name dynamicly labled. I have not yet seen this level of feedback on a lifesize unit..

Simon
  • dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    The Lifesize does have the ability to hangup calls independently. You can add, end, get status of all simultaneous calls. One major drawback is the color/shape buttons (blue square) used for remote control of the Lifesize. Via 232,IP control you don't know exactly what's on the user screen so you have to keep these buttons on your TP.

simon.francis
    In this situation the tandberg can provide the names of the far end sites as sent by the vc equipment this can be fed to the panel and the user can have a hangup button with each site name dynamicly labled. I have not yet seen this level of feedback on a lifesize unit..