Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

A rumor confirmed

The long rumored NS3 has been announced.
http://amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2009.2.3.d

Some of the new features include:
* Zeroconfig Tab - Simply click on the tab, within NetLinx Studio, and automatically link to networked devices without knowing/needing device IP addresses, special serial cables, or product-specific software, effectively extending your workspace. You no longer need to access a browser window; it's built into NetLinx Studio.
* TELNET Remote Command Console - Now available within NetLinx Studio. Launch and run this console for direct command line interaction with networked devices to emulate, test, troubleshoot and configure system functionality.
* And More - Includes enhanced macro creation, simplified IR file functions display, easier JAR File transfers, improved bookmarking, and more diagnostic tools.

So - ideas, thoughts? I dunno about you all, but I'm super geeked about this. It doesn't appear to be an Eclipse version (at least no mention of it) but surely a step in the right direction (as AMX almost always does.) Hopefully there are some beta opportunities for us (either publicly or privately) and we can help shape the new NS3.

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    This post is full of awesome.

But will we be able to see incoming strings from ethernet devices? That would be much more important to me than an embedded telnet client.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    http://amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2009.2.3.d

Some of the new features include:
    * Zeroconfig Tab - Simply click on the tab, within NetLinx Studio, and automatically link to networked devices without knowing/needing device IP addresses, special serial cables, or product-specific software, effectively extending your workspace. You no longer need to access a browser window; it's built into NetLinx Studio.
    * TELNET Remote Command Console - Now available within NetLinx Studio. Launch and run this console for direct command line interaction with networked devices to emulate, test, troubleshoot and configure system functionality.
    * And More - Includes enhanced macro creation, simplified IR file functions display, easier JAR File transfers, improved bookmarking, and more diagnostic tools.

So - ideas, thoughts? I dunno about you all, but I'm super geeked about this. It doesn't appear to be an Eclipse version (at least no mention of it) but surely a step in the right direction (as AMX almost always does.) Hopefully there are some beta opportunities for us (either publicly or privately) and we can help shape the new NS3.

I remember AMX being pretty coy about the question we posed about this at the class we were in. I'll look forward to seeing the new thing. I was hoping for a full-blown JAVA developement environment. But perhaps I do dreameth too much...
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    WHEN
    Will be available for download at www.amx.com within 90 days.

I look forward to NS3 but I won't be holding my breath as I've seen the 90 day promise morph into 365 days+ before. I hope I'm wrong...
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I remember AMX being pretty coy about the question we posed about this at the class we were in. I'll look forward to seeing the new thing. I was hoping for a full-blown JAVA developement environment. But perhaps I do dreameth too much...

Indeed - I was truly expecting NS3 to be in the Eclipse environment instead of sticking with SciTE. Eitherway, it's all good. Perhaps in NS4 they will . . . okay, I'm jumping the gun just a bit.

I had a feeling NS3 would be coming this year, I just didn't know when. I'm excited to at least see some screenshots. Anyone? Anyone? ;)
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    WHEN
    Will be available for download at www.amx.com within 90 days.

I look forward to NS3 but I won't be holding my breath as I've seen the 90 day promise morph into 365 days+ before. I hope I'm wrong...
    Now Joe, c'mon! You have to admit, I think with their past few releases of stuff have kept within their 90 day promise. I to am hoping for a prompt release, and in fact - am expecting it.
    Now Joe, c'mon! You have to admit, I think with their past few releases of stuff have kept within their 90 day promise. I to am hoping for a prompt release, and in fact - am expecting it.
    Case in point the new color viewstats, it was over a year in the waiting...
    I had a feeling NS3 would be coming this year, I just didn't know when. I'm excited to at least see some screenshots. Anyone? Anyone? ;)
    ATTENTION! I have just recieved an HONEST TO GOODNESS partial screenshot from NetLinx Studio 3!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    mpullin wrote: »
    ATTENTION! I have just recieved an HONEST TO GOODNESS partial screenshot from NetLinx Studio 3!
    LOL :D

and some stuff to make this message go through

Yes, you're right about that. But just curious (because I really don't know), what hasn't delivered on time in the past couple of months?
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    *walk along, nothing to see here*
    Yes, you're right about that. But just curious (because I really don't know), what hasn't delivered on time in the past couple of months?
    I?m pretty sure the MET-6N keypads (which I really like a lot) were way late but I could be wrong. I should go back and delete my negative comments as they serve no purpose but I make it a point not to edit myself so I?ll leave it out there. I?m working on 2 hours sleep so I?m a little cranky. Sorry?
    No problem . . . I'm sure the Tax season doesn't help much either.

It's all good though! Think positive! :D
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I don't think anything has been late in the last few months, but I also don't recall anything new being announced.

From what I understand, AMX has reformed themselves and they are trying very hard to return to the company that says 90 days or less and means it. Because of this acknowledgment, I have decided to give them one more chance. I am watching these new products and their actual availability closely.

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584

Yeah, but this is software, not hardware ... it makes a bit of a difference; no manufacturing re-tooling, etc.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Yeah, but this is software, not hardware ... it makes a bit of a difference; no manufacturing re-tooling, etc.
    Roger that.

I?ve set the egg timer to 90 days. I?m looking forward to a fully tested bug free version of Netlinx Studio 3.0 on or before May 4, 2009.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Wasn't there a firmware update for the 5200i due out 90 days after their release that actual took closer to 9 months to come out? Or did it just seem that long?
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I'm still waiting (patiently) for the iPhone-styled Virtual Keypad.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    annuello wrote: »
    I'm still waiting (patiently) for the iPhone-styled Virtual Keypad.

they seriously aren't delivered yet? :|
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    If it doesn't have a fix for the notifications window displaying hex as ascii on printable chars and the non display of $00 issue, then I'd happily wait a further 90 days 'til it does.
  • NetLinx Studio V3

To answer a few questions and dispel a few rumours, yes we are looking good on the 90 day window, betas will be available mid March - we'll post an announcement here for the insiders, no compiler changes in this version, not Eclipse - yet, screenshot is below.
    Doug Hall
    AMX Software Product Manager

Program Highlights
    FEATURE - Ability to launch unlimited TELNET sessions with the application.

FEATURE - New File Compare utility is available.

FEATURE - A new PULSE button with timer value is located on the
    "Control a Device" dialog.

FEATURE - The "Control a Device" and the "Emulate a Device" dialogs are
    now non-modal.

FEATURE - A new IR File tab to view IR constants within a file. Ability to
    insert the displayed IR constants into the active source code file is
    available with this feature.

FEATURE - Zero-Config tree display is available on the Workspace bar. There
    is ability to launch the HTTP web server page from the listed AMX devices.

FEATURE - Ability to open an include file from the source code editor when
    a "#include 'file.axi" line is available (right-mouse click on the line to
    select this option).

FEATURE - Enhanced auto-suggest/auto-complete processing. The user will
    now see variables, constants, devices, etc. for ALL designated include files
    within the source code file that is being edited.

FEATURE - Ability to export ALL preferences to a file. This new feature will
    allow the user to select all or a subset of preferences to export.

FEATURE - Ability to record and maintain "Macros" within the application.
    These macros pretain to the source code editor.

FEATURE - Ability to sort the "Device Mapping" dialog either by the device
    or by the D:P:S column.

FEATURE - Ability to map device definitions for the current system onto
    the online tree. This feature will show what devices are mapped with the
    online devices along with a branch of devices that are defined but are NOT
    online.

FEATURE - Ability to turn off auto-suggest/auto-complete within comment
    sections of source code.

FEATURE - New column edge marker is available within the source code editor.

FEATURE - Ability to trim padded blanks at the end of a line upon opening
    a source code files.

FEATURE - Ability to retain bookmarks for a file after closing the file. The
    bookmarks are set upon opening the file again.

FEATURE - Ability to highlight matching braces when editing a source
    code file.

FEATURE - Updated display features when displaying the notifications and
    diagnostic messages (ability to display messages characters as ASCII-Hex,
    ASCII-Decimal, all Hex or all Decimal).

FEATURE - Removed the device ID testing when downloading TP4 files via
    the "File Transfer" option.
    NLS3.jpg 182.7K
    Doug,

Thanks for the heads-up! The new feature list looks pretty darn good. A few things worry me, but we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

I particularly like the "Macro" capability and trimming end spaces, and I especially like the auto-complete for the variables, devices from all include files. The matching braces - a big plus!

Having the ability to view IR files in the editor will be a big plug for me. I no longer have to use my custom made IR file reader with 20% opacity-always-on-top program running. Thank you! ;)

From the looks, so far so good. I can't wait to get my hands on this and play with it!
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    OK now there are some great new features there. I cant' wait for autocomplete to start working with devices and variables in include files and stop working in comments.

Also, exporting preferences is gonna be nice. I wipe my machine every 12 months or so, and resetting all of my keyboard shortcuts and colors gets old after a while.

Thanks for fixing the bug in Notifications with ASCII/Hex, that'll also be nice.

I can't wait to beta test this.

J
    I am confused about the exporting & importing of preferences. This function already exists (since 2.4 if I'm not mistaken.) I use it to export my editing preferences and my keyboard shortcuts as well.
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    well then I never looked in the right place. Doh!

EDIT: just found it. Seriously, I just did all my preferences again last week.

Oh well

J
    It's all good. Essentially it makes a backup of your registry settings. In fact, if you toy around with the registry (at your own risk), I believe you can even underline certain text (i.e. strings, devices, constants, etc.)
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Doug Hall wrote: »
    FEATURE - Enhanced auto-suggest/auto-complete processing. The user will
    now see variables, constants, devices, etc. for ALL designated include files
    within the source code file that is being edited.

FEATURE - Ability to turn off auto-suggest/auto-complete within comment
    sections of source code.

FEATURE - Ability to trim padded blanks at the end of a line upon opening
    a source code files.

FEATURE - Ability to retain bookmarks for a file after closing the file. The
    bookmarks are set upon opening the file again.

FEATURE - Ability to highlight matching braces when editing a source
    code file.

FEATURE - Updated display features when displaying the notifications and
    diagnostic messages (ability to display messages characters as ASCII-Hex,
    ASCII-Decimal, all Hex or all Decimal).

For these features alone I want to have your babies.
    NetLinx is still not an Object Oriented language. We do not have an addChild() function.
    ... but we do have a SET_OUTDOOR_TEMP function, so all hope is not lost!
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    FEATURE - The "Control a Device" and the "Emulate a Device" dialogs are
    now non-modal.

Thanks!
  • Doug Hall wrote: »
    FEATURE - Removed the device ID testing when downloading TP4 files via
    the "File Transfer" option.

Can we now send TP files to the "wrong" panel size / type again, via NS3 rather than TP4?? Let's hope so, as we can't all afford to have one of each sat around for testing!!
  • Rod NRod N Posts: 28
    ... but we do have a SET_OUTDOOR_TEMP function, so all hope is not lost!

If only this command werked!!! and don't think I didn't try... there's me on the back porch with my trusty Axcent 2 and VPT-CP .. pointed at the heavens... no change. But it got me thinking.. and I've found other commands that fall short of the mark.... might be my code but I'm happy for others to disprove..

things I tried..

'CALL' ... no-one rang
    'FLOAT' ... not even slightly air-borne
    'TYPE_CAST' ... not a single handsome hunk movie offer has come my way.
    'WAIT_UNTIL' returned "...what??"
    'PULSE' did work.. I have one now.... but 'SET_PULSE_TIME' made no change and 'GET_PULSE_TIME' returned a string saying "Error - Stress_Level var out of bounds"

I tried 'DATE_TO_DAY'... but all I got in the buffer was .. 'HA!.. you wish!!'.... how humiliating...<sigh>

Cheers
    RN