Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

5200 Connection To Master

I am having some problems getting a panel to connect to the master, the panel is on the wifi network no problem but just report to route to host. Its set with the masters IP that has no security enabled. I cannot telnet to the unit either. Is it a bad panel ?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    xrmichael wrote: »
    I am having some problems getting a panel to connect to the master, the panel is on the wifi network no problem but just report to route to host. Its set with the masters IP that has no security enabled. I cannot telnet to the unit either. Is it a bad panel ?

If you're getting onto the WIFI network and also getting to the router (getting an IP address DHCP) then the issue is not the panel.

If you do get an IP address DHCP, the try setting the master communication settings to 'Auto'. After some time it should find the master.

If you were planning on setting the panel's IP static, you can set it back once you're sure you've got a good connection to the master.

Its locked on to the wifi, but will not take an ip via dhcp so i have put a static ip in the panel. I will alter the connection type to auto and see if that altres anything. Can you normally ping the panel? as i cannot with this one.
  • That sounds like there could be security enabled on the wifi network / you have the wrong key - you can connect to the AP but not to the network (hence no DHCP Address). What security is in place on the WLAN?
  • Wifi

Its wep, but i can see from the logs in the WAP that the 5200 has negotiated a connection to the wifi side of things OK. If the key was wrong i presume on the 5200 would not show signal quality etc. in the wifi settings
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    xrmichael wrote: »
    Its wep, but i can see from the logs in the WAP that the 5200 has negotiated a connection to the wifi side of things OK. If the key was wrong i presume on the 5200 would not show signal quality etc. in the wifi settings

Your presumption is incorrect. The panel can see the network and have great signal, but cannot read the traffic since it is encrypted. I think the 5200's will give you an orange connection indicator instead of green in that case but I might be wrong there.
    Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    That was the idea behind putting the TP into DHCP mode. If your settins are correct, you'll get a connection. If not you won't. Setting the static IP will not force the connectionn to the network to happen. As a rule, I go ahead and put panels into DHCP when having trouble with WiFi connections. It keeps a lot of other problems out of reach while you try to figure it out. Once done, I'll put it back.

If you're trying to do WEP you'll have to put the WEP key on the WAP. It must also match the one in the panel. It's possible to setup the WEP encryption to be negotiated when the device connects. You'll not want to do this.

Make sure to enter the same WEP key and don't check the 'Provide WEP key'type connection type on the WAP. It's different on each system.

Also make sure they are both the same type 64-bit or 128-bit. Cisco's call 64-bit 40--bit.

Just some thoughts...
  • Sorted

A schoolboy error panel to wep 128 shared wap to 128 open working now thought, thanks for the help and advice