Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

VoIP intercom + softphone?

Will the Modero panels with VoIP intercom talk to any PC-based SIP softphone program? The system I'm working on has a central help desk that should be able to communicate to the individual rooms, and I'm curious whether it could run a PC-based softphone, or if the help desk would need a Modero panel as well.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jweather wrote: »
    Will the Modero panels with VoIP intercom talk to any PC-based SIP softphone program? The system I'm working on has a central help desk that should be able to communicate to the individual rooms, and I'm curious whether it could run a PC-based softphone, or if the help desk would need a Modero panel as well.

Check out the SIP Gateway product in the AMX products page. It's what you need.
  • The only panels that will talk to the SIP gateway and allow conneciton out to Voip (or POTS) are the 5200i and the 8400i (From what I can figure out)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I don't believe there is anything special about the AMX SIP gateway. In fact I beleive it's just a repackaged Digium Asterisk appliance. So if it is just a basic SIP Gateway I would think the intercom capable panels which also include a 5" & 10" version I think should work on any SIP platform. Of course I could be completely wrong. Maybe your SIP system needs to be Asterisk capatable.
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    I have succesfully registered, 8400, 700vi, 1000vi, Netcom sip phone and a 3cx softphone to the CSG.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    trav wrote: »
    I have succesfully registered, 8400, 700vi, 1000vi, Netcom sip phone and a 3cx softphone to the CSG.

Thanks, this is helpful. Do you need the CSG for this to work? I was under the impression that you could do VoIP intercom between panels without the CSG, running a SIP gateway on the NetLinx master. Is this correct? If so, can it be used with softphones?

Jeremy
  • BinuBinu Posts: 49
    In my experience I understand that AMX SIP gateway is not must to communicate in between voip touch panels. You can use any SIP gate ways to achieve this. I tried with 3cx free edition DIP server. It working fine with me. Also you can communic ate with a voip tp from a soft phone like X-Lite or 3CX. Also from Fring installed imobile phone with Wlan.
  • Sip

Why not use a proper phone at the help desk. Grandstreams for example have sip phones which will also conect to a headset. You could link this via Asterix, if you are not happy using Linux try 'Asterix to go' just make sure there is nothing you want on the PC you put the disc in, it formats the harddisc and installs all the necesary components for you.

Simon
  • VOIP for mere mortals.

I am incredibly excited about the VOIP potential of AMX and it's integration into some of the touch panels. In fact this one of THE (not the only) reasons why I've made a decision to instal AMX vs the (cheaper) competitors product from Salt Lake City.

But having made that decision, I discover the SIP gateways "capabilities" (ie 50 users etc) and consequent price seem really targeted to the business/hotel market. I'm well aware a company has to set it's pricing to recoop expensive development costs etc..but...

Is there a product on the horizon for mere mortals who want to instal it into their house with just a couple of touchscreens, a simple "family" of users and a few lines?

I ask this question because I'm not sure I should spend the extra and get the "IP" enabled touchscreens over the older ones (in anticipation of an SIP gateway being released more for the domestic market)

I mean well. I love AMX, so please don't shoot me down..!
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    That's pretty much true of any phone system but something like the Panasonic 848 is considerably cheaper. Any SIP gateway should work and some like the SoftPhone (I think) are software based application that simply run on a PC. If you want to save a little money you can go with the Digium Asterisk appliance which is slightly less. If you compare it to a Cisco phone system the AMX starts to look fairly reasonable but it still isn't cheap.