Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Portable Software

Does anyone know of a way of making the AMX software portable? (i.e. putting it on a flash drive and just running it from there.)

Would be super helpful for when a computer goes down and you need to work on a backup one.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a way of making the AMX software portable? (i.e. putting it on a flash drive and just running it from there.)

Would be super helpful for when a computer goes down and you need to work on a backup one.
    If it worked on a Mac you could just boot off a drive of your choice. Alas and anon...
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    ericmedley wrote: »
    If it worked on a Mac you could just boot off a drive of your choice. Alas and anon...

Hmm - didn't know you could do that.

But basically - I'm looking for a way to convert (or to know if it's possible) some of the AMX programs to a U3 type program.

AMX empoyees - wanna chime in?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Hmm - didn't know you could do that.

But basically - I'm looking for a way to convert (or to know if it's possible) some of the AMX programs to a U3 type program.

AMX empoyees - wanna chime in?

Have you tried running it from a usb drive? What happened? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Have you tried running it from a usb drive? What happened? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Paul

Yup - TPD4 doesn't run properly; NS2 does - but of course without any editor preferences, formatting, etc. I haven't tried any others.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Yup - TPD4 doesn't run properly; NS2 does - but of course without any editor preferences, formatting, etc. I haven't tried any others.

You can transfer your editor settings to the usb drive as well so that shouldn't be a problem. What error does TPD give you?
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    You can transfer your editor settings to the usb drive as well so that shouldn't be a problem. What error does TPD give you?
    Paul
    Don't forget that NS2's editor settings are "loaded" and "saved" to the registry. I don't recall the error for TPD4, but it was something along the lines of an object not found or a dll wasn't registered or something.

The whole idea of "portable software" is not to modify the computer that is using it, but to run it 100% from USB.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    NS2 also dumps a lot of stuff in Program Files/Common Files/AMXShare.
  • Theoretically (I have not tried this) you should be able to make an app portable using Thinstall. It can be made executable to load a runtime Thinstall environment including all common and paths and reg entries directly in that (think virtual) thinstall environ and then have them disappear on closing the app having never actually changed the host system. It has worked for me for other apps and I see no reason why it should not with AMX apps. You will, however, loose all your saving of preferences, etc. It would act each time as if it were the first time it was run. You can add subfolders to the system under the exe file, and try to save them that way, but it is then not one file but quite a few more and it is more difficult to make portables that way.
    Do a Google on "making portable apps with Thinstall" There are quite a few tutorials out there on this. I do not recommend this as it becomes unsupportable and unknown in how it actually works. There are some programs that work well this way, but one of the size of NS2 is rarely 100% on first attempt from progs I have tried.
    Thanks Bob . . . I'll look into that! :D