Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

RTI U2

I am using a RTI U2 remote in a bathroom to control a TV and several other sources. I had a U1, but we upgraded to give the homeowner more control. The U1 worked pretty good with the AMX receiver outside the room. When I switched to the U2, I started having troubles with the receiver catching the signal. I have since moved the AMX receiver into the bathroom, but it seems that get the signal to be caught by the receiver I have to push and hold the button for a second. Are all the U2 remotes like this with AMX? Is there a setting that should be changed?

Thanks

Comments

• maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Sorry, I did not get design of your installation... What kind of AMX receiver is that? How does RTI integrated with AMX (for me it does not seen to be straight forward)?
  • I have had a few installs with the RTI/AMX.

For everyone's knowledge, it is fairly straight forward.

The RTI Remotes broadcast on a 433 MHz signal. The AMX AXR-RF has a 433 model that can interface with the RTI's signal.

Basically the RTI sends trigger codes to the AXR and you program what those triggers do.

Kinda programming things twice, once per system, but it gives you a great cost range over any of the AMX remotes if you have no need for feedback

I have don't several systems with AMX as the core brain and RTI for many of the UI's. I like to use the RP-6 and a CM-232 straight to the AMX processor. That way I have no limit of how many triggers I can have and I can change things nice and easy.

Anyway back to your problem. It sounds like you are doing everything correct. I would look at other things in the home that may be new that may cause interference. Plasmas have always messed things up for me.

I kinda got off topic, but I do ramble a lot.
    For everyone's knowledge, it is fairly straight forward. The RTI Remotes broadcast on a 433 MHz signal. The AMX AXR-RF has a 433 model that can interface with the RTI's signal. Basically the RTI sends trigger codes to the AXR and you program what those triggers do.

AMX AXR-RF was designed for use with AMX transmitting devices only. It says for itself. For example, it requires transmitters to send 2 or 3 repetitions of data. You may try to reduce RF validation level (jumper pins P3 on the board). I suppose AMX tech support may provide you with additional guidance...
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    I'd support going down the RTI RP-6 and CM-232 route.

You can program the RTI to send out whatever RS232 string you want and have the AMX processor parse that and act on the the parsed command. We've got systems using that route and also the AMX RTI triggers route. the RP-6 route gives better range, unlimited triggers, easy multiple receivers.
  • bnealbneal Posts: 22
    I will try using the rp-6 next time. It makes since that it needs the signal transmitted three times, as it would work when the button was held. I am guessing I could just triple the trigger codes in the remote using a macro to get it to work?
    Making it right by doing it wrong

the issue you face if you start tripling commands is that you might start to get totally unwanted behaviour on those commands where you want to issue distinct single pushes. As I've said, we've used the RTI T2C a lot and we've got a few AMX implementations where we've simply used the AMX RF triggers, We've never had to alter the behaviour of the triggers the RTI issues at a global level, however we have had to reduce the "sustain" setting on each trigger code on up, down, left.right cursors since the RTI default of sustain = 1 resulted in double presses.

Sorry, I know I talk a lot about this non AMX piece of kit in these forums but used well it's fantastic and it's a great addition to our armoury.
    iainshaw,

For me it seems to be risky to integrate RTI and AMX without having their tech support as backup. It is obviously that in this case they cannot help much. New firmware may change things unpredictably, and you (and your customer) indeed become alpha testers. I would not accept that...

If you face an issue that cannot be resolved, what you going to tell the customer?

However, that is my pessimistic point of view, we always have some risks anyway...
    As risky as integrating a Projector

You seem to be missing the point in the way we prefer to integrate them. There is no reliance on any one's integration other than our own RS232 protocol. The RTI talks to it own processor via its own receiver - no AMX involvement there at all. The RTI processor communicates with the AMX processor via RS232...just as a projector, audio processor or plasma might.

That's why using the RP-6 makes sense and why we think using the RTI AMX RF triggers is not the best route
    My bad. Definitely, that makes sense for me. I was talking about using RTI transmitters with AMX receivers...
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    maxifox wrote: »
    My bad. Definitely, that makes sense for me. I was talking about using RTI transmitters with AMX receivers...

There is a special command set (called amxrf, I think) that you can use for RTI remotes, to get them to emit RF codes to an AMX RF receiver. Although it looks like these codes are normal IR codes in TheaterTouch, your remote will send RF instead of IR (provided you have sufficient firmware version). The AMX RF receivers get the signals and pulse the appropriate channel. I have done a couple systems like this. It works pretty well, not great (occasionally misses pushes).

RTI TS will email you this file if you ask for it.