Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Problems Controlling Marantz SR8002 Receiver

i have installed a marantz sr 8002 receiver on rs 232 with netlinx ni-3100 controller. when i try to send the power off command on the receiver it behaves properly and switches the unit into standby but when i again want to switch on the unit using rs232 commands it does not switch on and respond.

kindly let me know if anyone has a similar problem.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    intrepid wrote: »
    i have installed a marantz sr 8002 receiver on rs 232 with netlinx ni-3100 controller. when i try to send the power off command on the receiver it behaves properly and switches the unit into standby but when i again want to switch on the unit using rs232 commands it does not switch on and respond.

kindly let me know if anyone has a similar problem.

The newer Marantz stuff has an annoying 'engergy saver' function. The idea is that when it's 'off' it's really 'off.' You have to manually switch on the power. Once it's on it will function normally.

I don't have the manual or codes in front of me. But there are a set of commads to tell it to operate normally (Go into standby, now power off). I generally send these commands whenever I send the power off command. However, if there is a prolonged power outage, the unit will revert back to default settings and the client will have to power the unit up manually.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote:
    The idea is that when it's 'off' it's really 'off.' You have to manually switch on the power.
    With the move towards having all things green this could become a more frequent issue. Maybe AMX should come out with a relay controlled button pusher so we can acutally be green and be able to do true off or at least be able to control the devices that are bound to come out that automatically go to a hard off instead of the power consuming sleep.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    ericmedley wrote: »
    But there are a set of commads to tell it to operate normally (Go into standby, now power off). I generally send these commands whenever I send the power off command.
    You send standby and then power off? Are you sure that?s how it goes? I thought you just send the standby command which is a ?type? of power off. Whatever the case, standby won?t do any good unless the unit is configured for normal standby mode vs. economy standby.
    STAND BY:
    When this is set to ?ECONOMY?, you can reduce
    the power consumption when the unit is in the
    Standby mode. When ?ECONOMY? is selected,
    ?TV AUTO? and ?RS-232C? are disabled when the
    unit is in the Standby mode.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    You send standby and then power off? Are you sure that?s how it goes? I thought you just send the standby command which is a ?type? of power off. Whatever the case, standby won?t do any good unless the unit is configured for normal standby mode vs. economy standby.

No, I send the two commands that put it in non-economy mode. It's just a redundancy. If the unit has reset itself to factory, the client only has to power the unit on manually once. When they hit the system off button, the commands to put it back into non-earth friendly mode are resent. If the unit is already there, then nothing changes.

Here again, I'm not in front of it now but I think the standby command is something like @PWR:0 or something like that.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Really?
    ericmedley wrote: »
    No, I send the two commands that put it in non-economy mode. It's just a redundancy. If the unit has reset itself to factory, the client only has to power the unit on manually once. When they hit the system off button, the commands to put it back into non-earth friendly mode are resent. If the unit is already there, then nothing changes.

Here again, I'm not in front of it now but I think the standby command is something like @PWR:0 or something like that.
    You have commands that can set normal standby vs. economy standby? Are you sure about that? :)

I see nothing in the protocol document that allows that or for that matter even mentions anything about normal and economy standby. The only way I can see to do it is by configuring the unit through the menu as the user manual explains.

If such commands do indeed exist can you please post them as they will come in handy?

Here is a link to the RS-232 pdf:

http://us.marantz.com/SR8002_SR7002_RS232_Control_Spec_MAI_V100.pdf

Thanks.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    You have commands that can set normal standby vs. economy standby? Are you sure about that? :)

I see nothing in the protocol document that allows that or for that matter even mentions anything about normal and economy standby. The only way I can see to do it is by configuring the unit through the menu as the user manual explains.

If such commands do indeed exist can you please post them as they will come in handy?

Here is a link to the RS-232 pdf:

http://us.marantz.com/SR8002_SR7002_RS232_Control_Spec_MAI_V100.pdf

Thanks.
    Well, now that I read through the manual, they are different power commands. The one's I have were for the DVD player. So, I am incorrect. Sorry about that. good catch.
    e
  • IshlachiIshlachi Posts: 34
    Sharp LCDs have this same issue, but they have a command you can send that display that will turn off the energy save mode. The command can be sent once and the system will function properly after that.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This whole situation annoys me a great deal. Just exactly how much power is saved by turning off the unit entirely as opposed to a minimal standby? And the same person with this "green" receiver commutes to work solo in an SUV ... we are sniping at flies while the vultures pick at our flesh ...

If you really want to save money on device power, just make sure the dang thing will turn on if the plug is pulled out and put back in ... then we can just put it on a power relay and be done. This whole energy saver mode thing is just an annoying waste of resources.