Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Minimum requirements for portable demo

If I wanted to setup a portable demo that includes and NI-whatever and a wired TP, can I setup static IPs for the two and just plug then together with a crossover cable? There?s no need for a router or a switch or is there? I don?t need to access a network or the Internet. I just need a TP talking to an NI master.

Thanks.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I recall doing that exact thing. But your are correct in needing the crossover cable, unless something has changed.

If for some odd reason it doesn't work, you could always stick a 5 port switch inside.

Also, if you go with a small switch that has PoE, you could do it with one of the new 500i panels and not have to worry about the phoenix adapters coming out :)

Jeff
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Thanks Jeff. Good suggestion with the PoE switch.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Joe,

We do this quite often. Bring a master & a hard-wired panel and just plug in the two - and it'll all work. Obviously you won't have internet capabilities but . . . yeah - it should work. On rare occasions we bring a WAP as well.
    jjames wrote: »
    Bring a master & a hard-wired panel and just plug in the two
    With a crossover cable correct?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I doubt the TP or master's ehternet ports are auto negotiating so a cross over cable should be required.

On occasion I've brought a VPN router and connected it to a clients network (resi) and created a VPN connection to our office so the TP actually connected to our office's master and a real system. Response is obviously a little slower than if it were onsite but customers are impressed when they see a TP in their Living Room controlling a system 50 miles away and getting real feedback. Just make sure you give folks back at the office a heads up so they don't freak out.
    vining wrote: »
    I doubt the TP or master's ehternet ports are auto negotiating so a cross over cable should be required.
    I guess they must be because I got a chance to try it out and a straight thru cable worked fine. Pretty cool.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I guess they must be because I got a chance to try it out and a straight thru cable worked fine. Pretty cool.
    Yes they autodetect.

They didn't always though - you had to put a cross over cable in and static IPs to get it to work, but now either cable is fine.

Not sure what model or rev it changed with :-)
  • Portable Demo
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    If I wanted to setup a portable demo that includes and NI-whatever and a wired TP, can I setup static IPs for the two and just plug then together with a crossover cable? There?s no need for a router or a switch or is there? I don?t need to access a network or the Internet. I just need a TP talking to an NI master.

Thanks.
    Purchase a large RV and one of every AMX product. :)

Do that and I will throw in a nice dinner and a tank of gas.