Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Polycom Vortex Systems

I have a board room that I am setting up that has an EF2280 (mic Mixer) and EF2201 (telephone interface). There are modules for both of these that I am looking at. The question that I have is should they be seperate devices or should I create 1 device and pass that device to both modules?

Comments

• I've written my own rather than using the AMX modules. And for that I have connected the units via the EF-Bus and controlled them through one device. You can use Conference Composer to get to them through one port as well. As long as the various device types have unique ID numbers you should be good.
  • Yes right now they have RTI RP6 that we are replacing and it is setup on 1 port. And I have already reconfigured both the EF2280 and the EF2201in Conference Composer to correct some issues.

Is there an issue with the modules for these devices?
  • I had started using them before the AMX modules had been released, so I had to roll my own.

Also, one of the requirements for the first job that I did with them was to be able to use Conference Composer to point to the IP address of the AMX master and tunnel through to the Polycoms so that CC could be run from a central support area instead of sending a tech out to plug in directly.

For the most part, if I am using a lot of the features of a device I'll at least try the AMX module, but if I only need a limited number of functions I'll write my own to keep things small and simple. So I tend to always use the modules for things like VTC units, but for things like projectors or plasmas I'll write my own.
  • Danny thanks for your input. I am still fair new to AMX and I am waiting to go to class. I did write my own modules for the Extron System 5, Canon projector, and the blinds, so I am getting the hang of the language. The good thing is that all the equipment that is in that room and the other rooms they have are all ASCII text and no hex so the math and conversions are very limited, the conversions and the bitwise functions are where I have problems right now and I am still battling a problem with a NAD Viso Five but that is another story.