Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Cool Program - Multiple Software Versions

Not being allowed to have multiple versions of NS on my computer has always been a BIG gripe of mine. I could have not wasted several hours fighting with NS 2.7 if I still had 2.6 installed.

So I started thinking, there's gotta be a way to have both (or mulitple) versions installed. So I did a quick search and I came across a program called Sandboxie. So I started playing around with it - and sure enough, I was able to install multiple versions of the same software which would otherwise not be allowed. I've not tested ALL of the capabilities, but so far - I don't see anything wrong with the previously installed version.

So . . . for those who like to live on the bleeding edge and install new software, this is the way to go.

If anyone installs this and has problems, be sure to post them here and give us a heads-up, as I've only been using this for . . . 20 minutes. ;)

Comments

• flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Thanks for the heads up JJ.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Have you tried NS 2.8?
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i have a feeling installing NS3 next to NS2 will not be a problem :)
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I haven't a clue yuri - but my guess is the opposite. I don't see NS3 being based entirely on different dependencies than NS2 - but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm gonna try out installing multiple versions of NS tonight while my wife makes me watch some silly movie called "Twilight" . . . <ugh>
    Okay - here's what I was able to do with the program. The sandboxed program is 2.6 (shown by the [#] surrounding the title); I have 2.8 installed natively.
    Word of advice if anyone is installing this program.

Modifying any workspace, panels, files, etc. is specific to the version you're working in. So if you make any changes in the "sandboxed" program, know that the SAME files are not being modified and instead being copied to a different directory.

Version control could be a pain if you forget about it.