Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Inspired signage

Hi All...

I haven't seen a forum on signage (yet) and nothing of note when searching the forums for 'signage'.

Has anyone had any experience with this AMX product line? I have an opportunity to get into this in a small (manageable) way with a few displays and likely 1 or 2 zones. This might be a good opportunity but I want to proceed with caution.

I've seen the VISIX (formerly TEI) signage product which is interesting - all web-based for content creation, no software apps and players just hang on the network, fed by a server. Fairly easy (with a grain of salt lower case "e") and decent looking.

Comments or thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jgillichjgillich Posts: 7
    IS-2-Go

Hi,
    we just purchased 3 players for our lab.
    They were difficult to figure out at first, as they kept crashing.
    It appeared that they were over heating.
    I sent 2 of them back and thanks to AMX's great service, we had new ones in 3 days.
    They have been working great since.
    I find the templates are fantastic.
    We run videos to slides.
    The time/date on the bottom, is a hit with our incoming employees.
    Any questions, please feel free to ask.
  • Options
    Roman BiasRoman Bias Posts: 33
    Currently I'm doing a project with 35 ISPX1000 player. The players are controller from a NI Controller and 3 touchpanels. I really like the ISPX1000
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    For those that may not have been notified, there is an hour long Digital Signage Webinar For Dealers on Tuesday May 18 at 1:00 PM Central Time.

Here is the link to register:
    http://amx.pgimeet.com/attendee/RegisterLogin.aspx?hubconfID=587416&qtID=1&act=reg&cp=5409

Here is a link to the IS-SPX-1000:
    http://www.amx.com/products/IS-SPX-1000.asp

And here is the link to training for the signage software tool. The how to videos are well done.
    http://www.inspiredsignage.com/products/inspiredXpress.aspx#tabs-2

I can certainly see how a device like this fits well in the commercial end. I also think it can find its way into the resi market by perhaps creating a Home channel of some sort.

I?m interested in finding out how far we can go with providing dynamic content aside from serving up RSS feeds. I wonder if we can get under the hood and modify the .svg files on the fly and create an interactive interface for the user.

I?m looking forward to learning more about Inspired Signage at the webinar.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    We have had 2 in house demo's from the national rep, the newer unit looks very interesting. I would say that AMX just needs to tweak things a little bit and they will have one of, if not the best units on the market.
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks for the note Joe - unfortunately I logged in a day late and missed it. I wonder if it was recorded for streaming playback or if it will be repeated?

Not sure where/when the notifications went out - I'll have to find so I don't miss the next one.
  • Options
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for the note Joe - unfortunately I logged in a day late and missed it. I wonder if it was recorded for streaming playback or if it will be repeated?

Not sure where/when the notifications went out - I'll have to find so I don't miss the next one.
    I only found out the day before the webinar via an email notice.

I thought it was well done and worth attending.

You can probably request the power point presentation, they sent a copy to all attendees. I?d post it but I?m not authorized to do so.
  • Options
    The next IS XPress webinar will take place on Thursday, June 3rd at 2 PM EST (1 PM Central).
  • Options
    Dave_UKDave_UK Posts: 54
    IS-SPX-1000 RS-232 port

Anyone know the current level of functionality available with the RS-232 port on the IS-SPX-1000 devices ?

We have an application where basically the digital signage box would require to be able to control the display to which it was associated with.
  • Options
    Dave,

Thats no problem! There are 2 diffrent ways to do that. We used the direct control trough the Netlinx and we made a protocol file. It works fine!
  • Options
    Thanks Roman

I take it that the RS-232 protocol files which can be uploaded into the XPress Player are of the same format as those that can be found in the InConcert resources ?

Even though the AMX website suggests that the RS-232 port is for future use, I see that there are four protocols already available in the XPress Player and that there are some basic SerialPort templates for Power, Volume, Mute, and Source included by default in the XPress editor.

I assume that those SerialPort templates just need modifying so that the parameters match those in the protocol files and then it's a case of adding them into playlists, or perhaps into a layer of the index.svg file, so as the screen gets powered on and switched to the appropriate source when the project gets uploaded to the player.

I also assume that one could use an RSS feed or similar to trigger the switching of the attached screen, so that a single central file could be updated to publish the desired power/input status of each screen, which then all players would access as part of a playlist and then send the appropriate signals to the attached screen if indicated to do so ?

Dave

PS does the XPress editor preview support previewing of streaming media elements ? Some of the AMX
    example projects (ISX_Portrait_Advanced & ISX_Retail_Advanced) point to mms://stream1.france24.yacast.net/f24_livefr which is a valid WM stream, but it doesn't display in the preview.

Roman Bias wrote: »
    Dave,

Thats no problem! There are 2 diffrent ways to do that. We used the direct control trough the Netlinx and we made a protocol file. It works fine!
  • Options
    Dave, I dont know wich protocol files are in inConcert resources. I made my own protocol file.
    But there are I beleive three in there already. You can try that one.

You can control the protocol file from direct netlinx code by making a shared variable and control that variable. It works fine. The only thing is that the protocol file uses a certain format and I beleive complex hex and calculations are not possible. I had to convert the Philips BDL protocol to decimal and precalculated the checksums. But it works fine!

I dont use the template examples to control the RS232 port. You can do that but in my situatiions I needed to control it directly from NetlInx Code.

You have to upload the protocol file to all players wich has to control something.

And yes Xpress Studio support previewing off live stream. No problem it works fine. I'm also using a lot of streams in the content.
  • Options
    IS-XPress

Hi,

Is there any documentation on how to integrate the IS-SPX-1000 into a Netlinx environment (Commands etc...)?

Also, where can i se the RS232 protocol format, so i can make my own control protocols to upload to the player...?

Thanks!

Kenneth
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    kennethk wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there any documentation on how to integrate the IS-SPX-1000 into a Netlinx environment (Commands etc...)?

Also, where can i se the RS232 protocol format, so i can make my own control protocols to upload to the player...?

Thanks!

Kenneth
    Start with the three manuals on the product page....
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Start with the three manuals on the product page....

John,

I looked true those manuals several times, but nothing about controlling the players from a master controller (only via IS-XPress software)...

I read on the forum about someone already had done this successfully...?

I want to do a demo on say... Fire alarm input on a Netlinx, trigging a pre-made template for "Fire Alarm" signage on the IS-SPX-1000

Any one??
  • Options
    Yes I've done this already..
    Please contact AMX on how to do this.. This one is not documented... If you have any questions after that, you can contact me.
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    If you find out from AMX - please post it here - or ask them to! Undocumented 'secret' capabilities don't do us any good! I've noticed the documentation is a little light on the ISX - except for the very basic details! (The video tutorials, however, are quite useful to get you going)
  • Options
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    If you find out from AMX - please post it here - or ask them to! Undocumented 'secret' capabilities don't do us any good! I've noticed the documentation is a little light on the ISX - except for the very basic details! (The video tutorials, however, are quite useful to get you going)

The latest IS-SPX-1000 Programming Guide now has some information on shared variables.

Dave