Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Using clock of master?

I have set the clock of a master (NI-700) to sync each hour to an external time server. Is it possible to use that clock source of the master in the Netlinx program or do I still need a AXC real time clock card in the slave AXCESS cardframe in order to have an exact clock in mainline?

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bob wrote: »
    I have set the clock of a master (NI-700) to sync each hour to an external time server. Is it possible to use that clock source of the master in the Netlinx program or do I still need a AXC real time clock card in the slave AXCESS cardframe in order to have an exact clock in mainline?

Use the TIME keyword. It's a string in the format HH:MM:SS

Likewise DATE is MM : DD : YY

or LDATE is MM : DD : YYYY

Note. I had to put spaces between the ':' or it made smiley faces...
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Eric, thanks much!
  • Options
    bob wrote: »
    Eric, thanks much!
    aint no thang...
    e
  • Options
    Bob,

how did you set the time to an external time source, i dont know how to do it .
  • Options
    John Paul wrote: »
    Bob,

how did you set the time to an external time source, i dont know how to do it .

I know you asked Bob, but I can help too. There are many ways to do this. One is to scrape a website with a good time server. That won't give you millisecond accuracy and all that, but it will keep you reasonably close. I happen to use the NIST website myself. But there are many others out there.

Another method is there are many RSS feeds that have time stamps.

A third way is to go ahead and roll your own time server client. I've been working on this for a little while but it's on the back burner as I have a dozen other things in its way right now.

The forth way I can think of is that the master does have it's own implimentatio of netwrok time on it. It doesn't know when daylights savings starts and stops.

Those are some ideas.

hope that helps.
    e
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Hi John,

I think when you http to your master and login, then click on "System" and then "Clock Manager": select here Time Sync from Network Time and on the most right sub-Tab (saying NIST Servers) select the time server to be used.

Thanks, Eric!
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, I was thinking of putting up the module iTimeManager to solve this issue. So once my controller is time sync, i just need to send a command to all the panels to take the time from the controller.
  • Options
    Panels update their time automatically from the Master they are connected to. No need to do anything!
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, it worked