Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Optional TP Item

From another thread:
AMX_Jeff wrote:
Careful, I just got caught on this: the new 430, 435, 5100, and 5150 panels do not support motion jpeg streams. See this for more info:
http://amx.com/assets/comparisonCharts/Chart-TouchPanels.pdf

I was looking through the chart referenced by AMX_Jeff and for SIP Telephone it shows this to be an option for the i series but not including the 5200i. All the i's support the intercom feature but the 5200i doesn't support the SIP Telephone.

Is this actually the case and if it is can this be any more idiotic? Granted when I saw the marketing material on the telephone capability of the i series I naturally assumed that this capability was inherant and not an option and that it would apply to all i series panels. I didn't expect seperate mechanisms for the intercom and telephone and figured they were parts of the same "i" feature.

What exactly is the SIP Telephone option then? Hardware & Software? If the 5200i doesn't support SIP Telephony why would I want to spec them. In the resi market if your going to do intercom it's the natural next step to provide telephone abilty especially when the misleading marketing hype makes it look so cool and easy. Would anyone think the newest "i" series panel would be the first "i" series panel that doesn't suppor this?

Please tell me the chart is wrong! If it isn't I'm going to ship the SIP Gateway I have back to Dallas and forget about trying to provide this capability since the 5200i's are what the customers want not the 8400's for a portable TP and who wants a wall mounted telephone capability when you can't provide a portable one.

Comments

• Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    I am not from AMX TS, but I would guess that SIP and Intercom are different options because they are different applications. The only common is G.711 codec, which is the most supported one. One can write an intercom application for any POSIX compliant system using that codec and C. And that is much easier than build a SIP client.

I think there is confusion with VoIP term here. Formally, it does not exactly mean IP telephony, it rather includes it. I understand that many of us assume only IP telephony when we hear VoIP. But not in this case. "i" stands for intercom and does not imply telephony at all. And yes, this version of intercom is VoIP based.

I am wondering though what is so special with 5200 comparing to 8400 that SIP functionality is pending there? There must be something...
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    maxifox wrote:
    I think there is confusion with VoIP term here.
    I think when most folks here the word VoIP they immediately think of telephony since we see commercial adds from the different service providers on TV all the time. And yes even if you erroneously think of telephony when you hear the word VoIP that doesn't automatically mean it would be SIP either. I have no problem with this.

Mostly I have a problem with AMX's marketing or their minimal information policy. You see a demo of the 8400i where they place a phone call using the "new i series MVP 8400" and you naturally "A$$UME" that capabiltiy would be available on all the "i" series panels. They don't say that this is only available on the 8400i, 700i & 1000i in the demo so you naturally "A$$UME" all the"i's" have this capability.

On the 8400i product page they cearly state that you can place local and long distance calls while on the 5200i product page they make no mention of this at all but they do list the SIP gateways as a "recommended accessory". Why? Makes me think it can work with the gateway as a SIP client.
  • Options
    I would agree something is wrong. Maybe we just do not know that phone functionality is already available??

On 5200i product page it says: "DID YOU KNOW? It?s A Digital Speakerphone. With the MVP-5200i, local, long distance and international phone calls can be placed and received at the push of a button, simply by adding an AMX SIP Communications Gateway to your NetLinx control system."

It is a popup info coming when you mouse over that orange circle with bulb inside icon. Beginning of the page.
  • Options
    SIP in MVP-5200i and NXD-500i WILL come. It will be implemented with a firmware release of the units.
    The chart is (still) correct, because 5200i and 500i still do not have this feature implemented (ok, call me a nitpicker :rolleyes:).
  • Options
    Hmm, you should call ME nitpicker.

Currently, AMX site says two opposite things about MVP5200:

A. With the MVP-5200i, local, long distance and international phone calls can be placed and received at the push of a button. MVP5200i product page.

B. Telephone calls can be placed or received on the MVP-5200i (in the future). Newsletter Sep 2007.

Obviously, by analyzing these two statements about product's past and present we get a conclusion about the product's future: SIP in MVP-5200i and NXD-500i WILL come. Exactly like you said. :)
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    maxifox wrote:
    With the MVP-5200i, local, long distance and international phone calls can be placed and received at the push of a button. MVP5200i product page.
    Well that makes me feel better knowing I possibly did read that SIP Telephony is supported by the 5200i and didn't just assume that to be the case. Now the house where I just installed 5 of these may someday be able place calls with them as designed and sold but now the question is when?

So when? Hopefully I won't be fired by then, I know don't sell a feature until you actually have it working in your hands!
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Any word on new firmware for SIP Telephony for the 5200i?