Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Text Messaging?

Has anyone done anything with texting?

I currently have the master sending out emails for certain events. Which works great, except I have to wait for the device to do a send/receive. To save battery life on a cell phone, sending and receiveing every 5 minutes is a bit much.

I think it would be really slick to get a text message instantly intead. My clients would also love this!

I know you can send text messages from web sites, which I guess may be the best avenue?
Which brings me to the next question, without learning the whole HTTP language, how would you fill in the form data on a web site?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Many of the web based Messaging Services have an API, I've used FastSMS in the UK for a number of applications - very easy to do with a GET or POST message
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Has anyone done anything with texting?

I currently have the master sending out emails for certain events. Which works great, except I have to wait for the device to do a send/receive. To save battery life on a cell phone, sending and receiveing every 5 minutes is a bit much.

I think it would be really slick to get a text message instantly intead. My clients would also love this!

I know you can send text messages from web sites, which I guess may be the best avenue?
    Which brings me to the next question, without learning the whole HTTP language, how would you fill in the form data on a web site?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks folks.
    AMX Australia have a GSM modem with a NetLinx module. All you need to do is grab yourself a SIM and away you go.

We've done several jobs with this now - yes, the clients do love it. On one job, the client sends a text to his system to turn the spa heater on and when they get down the coast they just need to roll out the drinks.

They can also check the status of the security system, arm disarm etc.

Great solution, very easy to harness.

And, no, I don't get a spotters fee from AMX Australia :)
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    There are SMS gateway services you can use in the states - if you can find one with a subscription package that meets your liking and a usable API.

This is one: http://www.mobilemarketing.net/smsgateway.aspx

The GSM modems are also available for use in the US, I believe. Try http://www.wavecom.com/

- Chip
  • dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    With some cell providers you can send an email which gets converted to an SMS message. WIth Verizon in the US you can send an emal to <cellnumber>@vtext.com to send a text message to a hand-set.

--D
  • Thanks for the ideas. You guys rock!
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159

dchristo wrote: »
    With some cell providers you can send an email which gets converted to an SMS message. WIth Verizon in the US you can send an emal to <cellnumber>@vtext.com to send a text message to a hand-set.
    http://www.emailtextmessages.com claims to have ?The Complete List Of Text Messaging Email Addresses?

I can verify that AT&T works as listed. I sent an email to 10digitphonenumber@ txt.att.net and my cell phone received it as a text message. When I replied to the text message the reply was sent back to the email address.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    The Verizon link works too. This is a pretty slick way of notifying customers of events/alerts/reminders. I use HAI security system which has the ability to dial numbers and give voice prompts or pre-recorded messages but I think I like this better.

Just need to create a pop up page to allow users to enter/modify by selecting their carrier and inputting their telephone numbers. That is unless you want to hard code it and then maintain it over the years.

Just need to add a the line "Do Not Reply To This Message" to the message.

This has some fun possibilties!
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The Nextel messaging email address works. I have been using it with iEquipmentMonitorOut for years.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Just tested the Srint email and it is working.
  • VladaPUBVladaPUB Posts: 139
    I have used SMS gateway (more than 50 pieces) installed in appartments, connected to NI700 over RS232.

You have posilibity to send/receive SMS and to pharse received. It have filter inside (programibile) so you can filter incoming sms messages. You just need to put SIM card inside and to plug it to power, it works extra !

You can use any incoming SMS as event. It also can work with GPRS data transfer, but I did not test it.

Price is around 210 euros for one device including antena and rs232 cable.

If you need aditional info send me mail to vladapub@gmail.com