Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

WAP-200 and DHCP

Greetings,

Has anyone had trouble with DHCP service to wireless devices connecting to a router through a WAP-200? I have tried several different routers. Some wireless devices have trouble getting an address. Setting a static address on the wireless devices works fine.

Thanks.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Greetings,

Has anyone had trouble with DHCP service to wireless devices connecting to a router through a WAP-200? I have tried several different routers. Some wireless devices have trouble getting an address. Setting a static address on the wireless devices works fine.

Thanks.

That's a good question. I always set them to static myself. I have a WAP200 in my home that has worked flawlessly for several years. Perhpas I can give it a try.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    In theory an aceess point is a layer 1 device like wires or hubs and shouldn't in any way affect the packets or frames if working correctly and have nothing to do with protocols. Try the access point w/o any encryption and see if you still have DHCP problems. Really can't think of anything other then encrypt/decrypt problems and even that doesn't makes any sense if everything other than DHCP requests are working.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vining wrote: »
    In theory an aceess point is a layer 1 device like wires or hubs and shouldn't in any way affect the packets or frames if working correctly and have nothing to do with protocols. Try the access point w/o any encryption and see if you still have DHCP problems. Really can't think of anything other then encrypt/decrypt problems and even that doesn't makes any sense if everything other than DHCP requests are working.

It only matters for administering the WAP. I have, many times, just let them do whatever they wanted and still connected successfully through them. They themselves don't need to reside on the same network as the devices connecting.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    vining wrote: »

Unfortunately the WAP in question is at a remote site and I cannot easily work on it. It is running WPA (or WPA2, I forget if that one has WPA2). Setting clients to static, connections work as expected. When set to DHCP, some clients will not get an address. iPhones get DHCP addresses. It is mostly Windows PCs that seem to have the trouble.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    It is mostly Windows PCs that seem to have the trouble.

I think this statement applies to pretty much everything in life...