Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New feature for G4 panels

Just a thought here, but I'm tired of walking across campus to reboot a panel. It would be sooooooooooo nice if the new firmware release for G4 panels had a section where we could setup for the panel to reboot itself if connectivity is lost for x number of minutes and the number of reboot attempts.

Comments

• kbeattyAMXkbeattyAMX Posts: 358
    Just a thought here, but I'm tired of walking across campus to reboot a panel. It would be sooooooooooo nice if the new firmware release for G4 panels had a section where we could setup for the panel to reboot itself if connectivity is lost for x number of minutes and the number of reboot attempts.

I guess telnet access is gone. Is that why you have to physically reboot it?
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    When the panels go down I lose all connectivity. Just not VNC but telnet and studio.
  • kbeattyAMXkbeattyAMX Posts: 358
    When the panels go down I lose all connectivity. Just not VNC but telnet and studio.

Confused. Are you saying you still have VNC? I've not experienced Modero Panels dropping offline. There was one time 4 years ago TPI4 had an application layer Issue that locked up the panel.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just not VNC but telnet and studio.
    In other words:
    In addition to VNC, I also lose connection to the telnet & studio connections.

;)
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    Better Question

Why are you losing connectivity?
  • John GonzalesJohn Gonzales Posts: 609
    I think it's a good feature to add. I haven't needed it personally, but probably not a bad idea to build it in.

Like jazzwyld mentions, I would be concerned about losing comm on a regular basis.

--John
    Connectivity is lost due to my network enviroment..don't ask..other than it is out of my control..it's not a panel or AMX based issue (99% of the time), I reboot the panel or I reboot the network switch and the panels come back.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    What about a power controller?
    PhreaK wrote: »
    What about a power controller?

I have brought this up many times, but to date I haven't had a thumbs up. All I need is a N.C. relay tied to the controller and monitor the panel for an extended 'offline' occurrence and triger the relay. I have done extensive testing and like I mentioned it doesn't appear to be a panel issue but a network time out problem that is likely occurring when someone is mulit-casting across my sub-net. I am currently moving my sub-net to a Vlan where I can better isolate network issues. However this is and will take a long time and this is why I thought of this feature would be a nice solution for me. The other issue is that the panels that drop offline are never constant and move from room to room and building to building making tracking the problem very very hard to pin point.