Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Cost of panels

Hi everyone
Just a quick question about the costs of the Modero 17" panels. I just got a quote of almost 20K and well I would like to know is it me or does a panel that cost more than my first car a little out of reach for the average user. I can purchase a 40" LCD monitor for less. I realize there is R&D costs but why develop a panel that no one can afford? It's a really nice panel but not that nice.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's the cost of being on the cutting edge of technology, and that's what I tell my customers. I also tell them if they are willing to wait a year or two, it's bound to go down dramatically, but this is the premium they pay for having the latest and greatest.

The CV-17 is widescreen, and clearly intended to be a viewing station as well as a touch panel. Certainly, it can't replace a TV or plasma in a theater, but will easily serve as a PIP monitor or preview monitor...the real question is if your clients want it that badly (or your sales team can convince them they do :)).

I've had customers balk on the cost too, and even had one guy calling AMX and pretending he was a dealer to see if our salesman was trying to cheat him. In the end, he settled on CV-12's.
  • Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    Originally posted by DHawthorne
    It's the cost of being on the cutting edge of technology.

Well, the PRICE, not the COST. AMX probably has (raw) margins of 3 digits (in %) on panels. It probably gets a lot more reasonable when you factor in R&D and other costs, and remember this is a niche market. AMX does not sell millions of panels every year... Screen manufacturers do.

Fred
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    The costs I figure must be for the overlay and associated electronics ,with the price of the LCD panels coming down all the time. I'm sure that they would sell more of these panels though if the cost was half of what it is now. Myself, I would like to sell 20 panels for half the cost than 10 panel at full cost because I just doubled my customer base. Thanks for the input guys.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    These types of technologies (AMX, ********) are intended to be expensive. The thought is that if you keep the price high, the level of service will remain high. Imagine the level of service you would get if Wal-Mart was sellling AMX.

In addition, AMX is not in a price war from competitors making similar products with similar capabilities. Always pushing the envelope helps keep that status.

Maybe someday all electronic equipment will have an Ethernet jack and some standardized control protocol. Bill Gates will write a GUI application for making custom control systems. Perhaps that may drive down the price of third-party control systems.

My advice, what goes up (and is up) must (and will) come down. ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!

---
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Originally posted by TurnipTruck
    Imagine the level of service you would get if Wal-Mart was sellling AMX.---
    I don't worry to much about this with AMX, Cres**** maybe but not AMX. Todate AMX has gave me very good service. I guess I shouldn't complain about this cost after what I paid for a chunk of harded coal for my wife finger.