Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware MAX by AMX

Loading MAX HD-12

Bill BBill B Posts: 4
I am being asked to load a Max HD-12 and need to know how long does it take to load one DVD and one CD without the 200 disk loader. I have not been told how many total and need to get a idea how many hours or days to charge for. Sounds like fun.

Bill

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Bill B wrote: »
    I am being asked to load a Max HD-12 and need to know how long does it take to load one DVD and one CD without the 200 disk loader. I have not been told how many total and need to get a idea how many hours or days to charge for. Sounds like fun.

Bill

Time and materials - trust me...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Ten to fifteen minutes per average DVD, longer for bigger ones. You really don't want to go there if you have a lot of titles. They can be loaded from a PC as well using WinMax, but that's very slow ... real time, as I recall.

It may be worth your while to buy the MDL-200 just to load the initial titles for your customers, especially if you are going to use the MAX regularly. I installed one permanently at a home, though in retrospect, the things are so dang user unfriendly, I don't recommend that at all. I would up loading them myself anyway.
  • Bill BBill B Posts: 4
    Loading Max 12

Thanks for the input.

Bill
  • philg5140philg5140 Posts: 13
    Hi Bill, I have a loader that I've used once, I'd love to sell or rent it. I'm not not selling MAX any longer...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    philg5140 wrote: »
    Hi Bill, I have a loader that I've used once, I'd love to sell or rent it. I'm not not selling MAX any longer...

Neither am I. Too much trouble for the money it costs, and it requires constant babysitting. I had a billing dispute with a customer that resulted in several drives going offline due to lack of attention. Normally, it's very minor, you reset the drive, all is well. But because I wasn't going there regularly, several dropped off line, and now that I am re-opening the relationship, I have a completely dead MAX. Two of three servers have a corrupted OS. I am so not looking forward to trying to explain this to a customer with whom I have an already strained relationship. Because the dang things didn't have their hands held for a period of time, I might be looking at a repair that involves sending the servers back to AMX, then reloading over 1000 DVD's. All for lack of a few 5-minute maintenance visits. And this is typical of the MAX product; it is, simply put, not very robust, very unforgiving, and absolutely not able to gracefully recover from minor errors. Now there are alternatives, I'll never sell another. AMX has been great in supporting it, but that doesn't make up for an inherently flawed product.